Thread poster: Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 30, 2004

I started working on a new project En>Ukrainian, created a new term base, but every time I use a term from the new Multiterm termbase or close a segment, all chars turn to a mess of unreadable hieroglyphs. I tried switching target fonts in Trados and Multiterm to Arial Cyr and even Arial Unicode,
but it didn’t work.
Besides, I don’t seem to have Arial Cyr and Arial Unicode or Times New Roman Cyr in my newly installed Windows and Office XP. However, if I just start typing in Uk
... See more
I started working on a new project En>Ukrainian, created a new term base, but every time I use a term from the new Multiterm termbase or close a segment, all chars turn to a mess of unreadable hieroglyphs. I tried switching target fonts in Trados and Multiterm to Arial Cyr and even Arial Unicode,
but it didn’t work.
Besides, I don’t seem to have Arial Cyr and Arial Unicode or Times New Roman Cyr in my newly installed Windows and Office XP. However, if I just start typing in Ukrainian or Russian in MS Word doc., everything seems to be working just fine...
Please, help me out here!!
Collapse

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Register May 1, 2004

I think, you should to change nls - record in Windows Register

[Edited at 2004-05-01 09:13]

Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that already May 2, 2004

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

I think, you should to change nls - record in Windows Register

[Edited at 2004-05-01 09:13]

I guess, I'll just have to find a place where I can download Cyr fonts. What I can't understand, though, is why I can type in Russian text without any problems whatsoever, even though I don't have Cyr fonts (like Arial Cyr, Times New Roman Cyr, etc.).

Does anyone know where I can download these fonts? Thank you in advance!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You won't find them May 2, 2004

because these fonts do not exist!

They are only shown in some applications without support for Unicode.
So Word XP will not show the existence of any CYR or CE font on your machine, whilst Word 95 will.

Regarding your other problems: look at the Trados support site (<
... See more
because these fonts do not exist!

They are only shown in some applications without support for Unicode.
So Word XP will not show the existence of any CYR or CE font on your machine, whilst Word 95 will.

Regarding your other problems: look at the Trados support site (www.support.trados.com), join the Yahoo TW_Users group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/) and search their archive for similar problems (you will find a lot of informations and solutions there) and use the search function on ProZ fora - even here similar problems has been discussed (perhaps not regarding your particular language, but connected with other middle/east european languages).

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with font recognition in Word XP using Trados 5.5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »