Thread poster: Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe
Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe
Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 07:30
German to Serbian
+ ...
May 3, 2004

After exporting a PM6.5 document (from PM7) using the story collector, when reimporting the tagged file, page numbers in my document get lost. Even when editing "Document Properties" in PM and setting an according page numbering scheme (e.g. 5-n, where n is an arabic number), pagenumers still remain invisible, i.e. only the "5- " is visible, but not the arabic page number.

Has anyone encountered this before? what is the solution to this problem?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I encounter this problem every time working with Story Collector May 3, 2004

My solution is to open the default pages (or layout pages, by clicking the L/R-pages in the left lower corner of PM window) and to place the page number again (by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+3 - NOT NUMERICAL 3, but the number above the letter keys).

Afterwards the page numer appears as it should (in layout view they show as RS/LS)

HTH
Jerzy

Serbia
German to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Shift+3? May 3, 2004

I opened the L/R-Page(in my case, R-Page, as it is a one-sided document). However, Ctrl+Shift+3
did not change anything. Page numbers are still only "5-". Am I supposed to mark some text or some area before using the key combination? When using the text-edit-function and using the key combination, I get an "RM" typed. Is there a way to toggle redrawing the numbers in the menu?

what character is "Shift-3" on your keyboard? maybe we use different keyboard layouts, and therefore
... See more
I opened the L/R-Page(in my case, R-Page, as it is a one-sided document). However, Ctrl+Shift+3
did not change anything. Page numbers are still only "5-". Am I supposed to mark some text or some area before using the key combination? When using the text-edit-function and using the key combination, I get an "RM" typed. Is there a way to toggle redrawing the numbers in the menu?

what character is "Shift-3" on your keyboard? maybe we use different keyboard layouts, and therefore the combination does not work here. tried Ctrl-# (# is accessed as Shift-3 on qwerty-keyboards) and Ctrl-§ (Shift-3 in german qwertz). None helped.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
German keyboard on WinXP May 3, 2004

Your country is Germany, so I assume, you use german keyboard...
The "3" is the numeric key above the letter keys. On standard german keyboard you'll find a paragraph mark on it to.

Pressing the "STRG+SHIFT+3" gives me the Page Number in layout view, however the PM-help states, one should use STRG+ALT+P, but this does not work for me.

If you wish, you can contact me via phone. If you want to do so, please write me a short email via my profile.

Regards
... See more
Your country is Germany, so I assume, you use german keyboard...
The "3" is the numeric key above the letter keys. On standard german keyboard you'll find a paragraph mark on it to.

Pressing the "STRG+SHIFT+3" gives me the Page Number in layout view, however the PM-help states, one should use STRG+ALT+P, but this does not work for me.

If you wish, you can contact me via phone. If you want to do so, please write me a short email via my profile.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Serbia
German to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Final Explanation May 3, 2004

For those who are interested in how things were solved:

Ctrl-Shift-3 worked on my computer, I just had the problem that in the status line containing the page numbers, there was another text object above the page number text, to which I tried to add the "RM" (place-holder for page numbers in single-sided document) by pressing the keyboard shortcut. So I had to moved the other text-object away, added the page number to it's corresponding object, and the moved the other text object ba
... See more
For those who are interested in how things were solved:

Ctrl-Shift-3 worked on my computer, I just had the problem that in the status line containing the page numbers, there was another text object above the page number text, to which I tried to add the "RM" (place-holder for page numbers in single-sided document) by pressing the keyboard shortcut. So I had to moved the other text-object away, added the page number to it's corresponding object, and the moved the other text object back.

Question remains: Why doesn't trados fix the page-number-behaviour of the story collector?
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
TRADOS does not fix it because of PageMaker API Jul 20, 2004

Unfortunately the PageMaker API does not support access to the PageNumber element. Therefore the StoryCollector (that works with this API) is not able to export/import the page numbers.
While it's not a big deal to re-insert the page numbers on the master page it might result in a hell of a job if the source PageMaker Document was using so called "InLine Graphics". These are graphics that are "embedded" in a normal text flow (and do not reside in an own, separate graphic frame). E.g. small
... See more
Unfortunately the PageMaker API does not support access to the PageNumber element. Therefore the StoryCollector (that works with this API) is not able to export/import the page numbers.
While it's not a big deal to re-insert the page numbers on the master page it might result in a hell of a job if the source PageMaker Document was using so called "InLine Graphics". These are graphics that are "embedded" in a normal text flow (and do not reside in an own, separate graphic frame). E.g. small (warning, caution etc.) icons at the beginning of a paragraph or screenshots. InLine Graphics cannot be accessed via the PageMaker API, too, and get lost during Export/Import with StoryCollector. You will need to copy and paste them from the source document into the translated document
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pagemaker 7, TRADOS and Page Numbers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »