Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Hi.

I have a file that is a Quark doc converted for use in TagEditor. I need to know the following:

1) Is it possible to do "auto-insert" of the tags instead of clicking on "next placeable" each time?

2) How can I split this doc up into manageable chunks without damaging the tags? Please note that I do NOT have Quark. Alternately, if Quark is necessary to split it up, is there any generous soul out there would be willing to help me split it up and then r
... See more
Hi.

I have a file that is a Quark doc converted for use in TagEditor. I need to know the following:

1) Is it possible to do "auto-insert" of the tags instead of clicking on "next placeable" each time?

2) How can I split this doc up into manageable chunks without damaging the tags? Please note that I do NOT have Quark. Alternately, if Quark is necessary to split it up, is there any generous soul out there would be willing to help me split it up and then reconstruct it when it's ready to be put together?

Thanks.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 05:41
German
+ ...
Some answers... May 5, 2004

Hi, Sandra.
re 1: No, but you can activate the "Copy source on no match" option in Translator's Workbench and see if that eases your job already.
re 2: I would strongly advise against it, although it IS possible. If you absolutely have to do it (I take no liability here), this is how I would proceed:
1. Open the .qsc file in TagEditor.
2. Select the first part of the file using the mouse, like you would e.g. in Word and copy the highlighted text & tags to the clipboard (C
... See more
Hi, Sandra.
re 1: No, but you can activate the "Copy source on no match" option in Translator's Workbench and see if that eases your job already.
re 2: I would strongly advise against it, although it IS possible. If you absolutely have to do it (I take no liability here), this is how I would proceed:
1. Open the .qsc file in TagEditor.
2. Select the first part of the file using the mouse, like you would e.g. in Word and copy the highlighted text & tags to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
3. Open a new, blank document in MS Word and paste the contents of the clipboard there.
4. Save the document as part01.rtf
5. Repeat steps 2-4, moving through the .qsc file and (oviously) using a different RTF file for saving each time.
Caution: Make sure your selections do not start or end in the middle of a segment. Otherwise, you will get segmentation issues and will probably have difficulties putting the pieces back together.
Translate the pieces in TagEditor and when done, clean the resulting .ttx files to get RTF files containing only the translated text.
To join the translated pieces, copy & paste the translated files together in Word and save the resulting file as a "Text document (.txt)" with an extension of .qsc.
StoryCollector SHOULD be able to import that file. As mentioned before, this is not a recommended practice and I would advise testing the process by going through it step by step using example files before you apply it to your actual data.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Splitting up Tag Editor files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »