OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
Local time: 15:38
English to Polish
+ ...
May 7, 2004

Hi

We are working on a series of documents containing quite a number of references in the following format:
{Sentence1}.{Ref. No in superscript}{space} {Sentence2},
eg. quote
This effect has been described in a number of studies.11,14 There is however no available data to support carcinogenic effect.
end quote

The Trados built-in ‘full stop’ segmentation rule does not apply here, as there is no trailing space following the dot.
I have
... See more
Hi

We are working on a series of documents containing quite a number of references in the following format:
{Sentence1}.{Ref. No in superscript}{space} {Sentence2},
eg. quote
This effect has been described in a number of studies.11,14 There is however no available data to support carcinogenic effect.
end quote

The Trados built-in ‘full stop’ segmentation rule does not apply here, as there is no trailing space following the dot.
I have been therefore trying to create a new rule with:
0 leading chars
0 trailing whitespaces
1 leading words
’.’ stop character

However for some rather unclear reason this rule is not being implemented. What is more, WB would not save this set of options – next time I open Segmentation rules tab, 1 is inserted in Trailing whitespaces box.
Could anyone assist? Your help will be appreciated.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 15:38
German
+ ...
Preprocessing May 7, 2004

In a case like this, I would tend towards developing a preprocessing procedure for the files rather than altering the segmentation rules, which can cause all sorts of problems later on.
Without looking at your actual file it is hard to make conclusive suggestions, but you might want to look into the possibility of marking up the ".11,14" bits as tw4WinInternal (or tw4WinExternal.)
Another possibility might be to add paragraph marks ("Return"s) before and after these through a find-an
... See more
In a case like this, I would tend towards developing a preprocessing procedure for the files rather than altering the segmentation rules, which can cause all sorts of problems later on.
Without looking at your actual file it is hard to make conclusive suggestions, but you might want to look into the possibility of marking up the ".11,14" bits as tw4WinInternal (or tw4WinExternal.)
Another possibility might be to add paragraph marks ("Return"s) before and after these through a find-and-replace operation and when finished, removing them again.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

I still hope this helps somehow.

Regards,
Benjamin
tectranslate, Germany
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation rules for references?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »