Paragraph marks that are not acting as they should...
Thread poster: Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:37
English to French
May 20, 2004

I received a Word document and it seems Ok to me. But when I start tranlating with Trados all the paragraph marks go away,and the sentences are all in one bunch.
I tried a search and replace and I found no real paragraph mark, but I do see them.....
Do I need more sleep?
What can I do?
TIA

artyan
artyan
United States
Local time: 02:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Try saving a copy of the document with Wordpad May 20, 2004

Louise Dupont wrote:
I tried a search and replace and I found no real paragraph mark, but I do see them.....

I had a similar problem yesterday (I was editing a tab-delimited TM manually, and needed to do quite a number of search-replace operations). Word seems to have several options for the carriage return (and, by the way, for tabulation marks as well!).

I saved a copy of the document with Wordpad, and then opened it with Word. This solved my problem.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:37
English to German
+ ...
Which Word version May 20, 2004

Hi Louise,
Can you please provide more details? Which Word version are you using, and do you know which version was used to create/edit the document?

I had a similar problem in the past; we never quite found the cause, but there were some indications that is was an issue of different Word versions. Does it show the same behaviour if you save as RTF?

Best regards, Ralf

Eva Gerkrath
Eva Gerkrath  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:37
English to German
+ ...
Not really paragraph marks May 20, 2004

Hi Louise,

I had a similar problem recently. Trados didn't seem to see some of the paragraph marks and they disappeared when opening a segment. After translating a few sentences I couldn't do anything with the document, even with the Workbench off (e.g. no Copy&Paste) and my TM became unusable.
I tried a fresh copy with SDLX, same problem.
Someone suggested that the paragraph marks were no real paragraph marks but only looked like them because the text was copied from a
... See more
Hi Louise,

I had a similar problem recently. Trados didn't seem to see some of the paragraph marks and they disappeared when opening a segment. After translating a few sentences I couldn't do anything with the document, even with the Workbench off (e.g. no Copy&Paste) and my TM became unusable.
I tried a fresh copy with SDLX, same problem.
Someone suggested that the paragraph marks were no real paragraph marks but only looked like them because the text was copied from a Linux-based application. Unfortunately he didn't remember the code for them. Maybe someone else does? Then you can Search&Replace.
In the end I replaced all the real paragraph marks (they were in there aswell) with § and replaced the remaining 'paragraph marks' with real ones manually. In the end I changed the § back to paragraph marks an the document was usable.
Very annoying, because I had to also export my TM and create a new one.

Good luck with your document!

Eva
Collapse

Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:37
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2000 May 20, 2004

I'm working with Word 2000, Trados 6 (build 309)and Windows XP.

I tried Artyan's solution but nothing changed.
I finally made a PDF copy and then passed it through my OCR and put it back in a word format.....
What if my text had 200 pages???

[Edited at 2004-05-20 13:51]

Chelidonis
Chelidonis  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:37
Member (2004)
German to Greek
Replace "paragraph marks" May 20, 2004

Louise Dupont wrote:

I received a Word document and it seems Ok to me. But when I start tranlating with Trados all the paragraph marks go away,and the sentences are all in one bunch.
Do I need more sleep?
What can I do?
TIA

Hello Louise,
I had the same problem. The text seems OK but since start translating with trados, they were not normal paragraph marks (e.g. with ENTER). I found out, that the paragraph marks were "made" with SHIFT+ENTER (like in html). The only solution I found was to manually replace all these "paragraphs" with normal paragraph marks. May be it works also with "replace all"; I didn't check it, because my document was only about 10 pages.

Good luck!
Pavlos
PS: I hope you understand my English!

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Shift+Enter= Manual line break May 20, 2004

Pavlos Chelidonis wrote:

I found out, that the paragraph marks were "made" with SHIFT+ENTER (like in html)

If this is the problem, then the solution is very simple: just search the special codes "Manual line break" and replace them with "Paragraph".

In the Italian version of Word 2000 you select:

Modifica>Sostituisci>Altro>Speciale>Interruzione di riga manuale

etc. The English menu if I remember it well should be

Edit>Replace>More>Special>Manual line break.

I hope it helps.

Luca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paragraph marks that are not acting as they should...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »