Trados 6.5 is changing my brackets (and the formatting)
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:12
German to Romanian
+ ...
May 28, 2004

I am using Trados with some Word documents and apart from making a lot of changes in formatting, the most unusual seems to be the fact that it's changing my brackets.
E.g.
original: von der Standardausführung (4 Tastenfeld) in einigen Punkten ab.

Trados: von der Standardausführung 4) Tastenfeld (in einigen Punkten ab.

Now when I copied the text here, it appeared ok, but it does not appear ok in my text and it is making it quite difficult to read the origin
... See more
I am using Trados with some Word documents and apart from making a lot of changes in formatting, the most unusual seems to be the fact that it's changing my brackets.
E.g.
original: von der Standardausführung (4 Tastenfeld) in einigen Punkten ab.

Trados: von der Standardausführung 4) Tastenfeld (in einigen Punkten ab.

Now when I copied the text here, it appeared ok, but it does not appear ok in my text and it is making it quite difficult to read the original, because I have several instances of brackets and I always have to consult the original (non-trados) file.

Apart from that, I am wondering where the changes in formatting come from. E.g. the original has a TimesNewRoman character in one style, and Trados changes it into another style, that changes all letters into capitals. Is there any way to control this behaviour?
Thanks for any tips.

BTW, if it's of any use: my TM is German to Romanian, in case regional settings have anything to do with the phenomenon.

[Edited at 2004-05-28 16:59]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Improperly formatted original document May 28, 2004

The formatting is probably being changed due to improper formatting of the original document. It's quite common. For example, the author manually reformatted paragraphs that were created in a certain style. When you open a new segment, Word applies the original style. I'm afraid you will have to reformat the document manually after cleanup (or during translation).

I have no idea what's happening with the brackets. You can try to post your question to the tw_users group.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
regarding reformatting May 29, 2004

I agree with Hynak regarding the reformatting. Non-expert or lazy users of Word (which are a sizeable percentage of Word users!) commonly change the formatting of text 'locally' by applying style attributes such as font, character size, etc. to the actual text, instead of creating a suitable style (or styles) or modifying the Normal style to suit their purposes, and then applying the style(s) to the text.
I've seen the type of behaviour you refer to with WordFast, which is functionally a c
... See more
I agree with Hynak regarding the reformatting. Non-expert or lazy users of Word (which are a sizeable percentage of Word users!) commonly change the formatting of text 'locally' by applying style attributes such as font, character size, etc. to the actual text, instead of creating a suitable style (or styles) or modifying the Normal style to suit their purposes, and then applying the style(s) to the text.
I've seen the type of behaviour you refer to with WordFast, which is functionally a clone of Trados. Normally it copies the attributes of the source segment, but sometimes it (re)applies the Normal style (or whatever style has nominally been applied to the text) -- and the attributes of the applied style will be different if the author modified the attributes locally. This behaviour seems to be triggered by doing something 'unusual' with WF (I'm not exactly sure what), and once it starts it's persistent. In my exerience, this problem can be cured by shutting down WordFast (and possibly Word) and then starting it (or them) anew.
If restarting doesn't work, another solution is to check which style is applied to the source text (usually the Normal style if the author is totally ignorant of Word styles, but it may be another style) and then edit that style so its attributes match the attributes actually applied to the text. While you're at it, you might also want to create and/or apply specific styles to commonly occurring formatting elements (such as headers and the like), instead of leaving everything as locally modified versions of the Normal style. This is most easily done with relatively short documents and/or documents with relatively simple formatting, where you can be fairly confident that most if not all the text is formatted in the same manner. In any case, adjusting the style attributes (or creating/applying other styles) to match the attributes actually applied to the text can save you a lot of time if you do have to clean up the formatting, although there can always be localised exceptions that are best adjusted manually.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 is changing my brackets (and the formatting)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »