Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 08:17
German to English
+ ...
May 31, 2004

Hi!

I have recently bought myself a new computer and too the opportunity to upgrade to 6.5 from 5.5. I use Word 2000 running under Office XP. I have discovered that my Word spellcheck no longer works if I use Trados!!!! (Spellcheck works just fine if I have not used Trados)

I have scoured the Microsoft office Help pages to no avail. German (my source) and English (my target language) are both activated, the "do not spellcheck" (Rechtschreibung nicht prüfen) is not che
... See more
Hi!

I have recently bought myself a new computer and too the opportunity to upgrade to 6.5 from 5.5. I use Word 2000 running under Office XP. I have discovered that my Word spellcheck no longer works if I use Trados!!!! (Spellcheck works just fine if I have not used Trados)

I have scoured the Microsoft office Help pages to no avail. German (my source) and English (my target language) are both activated, the "do not spellcheck" (Rechtschreibung nicht prüfen) is not checked, the hide spelling errors function is switched off. I have even deliberately entered spelling errors into my document to make sure that there are errors in there for the spell checker to find - but it is blind to the errors of my ways! I'm starting to pull my hair out in deparation.

I've searched the Trados and TW_Users databases and found nothing (I've also made a posting to TW_Users - perhaps I'll be lucky there...)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alison
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word 2000 vs. Office XP May 31, 2004

Hi Alison,
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I'm confused here...

I use Word 2000 running under Office XP.

???
Or was that supposed to read Windows XP?

Puzzled, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure 6.5 will cooperate with Office 2k? May 31, 2004

This is the first question.
To calm your emotions down: this happens to me in Word XP too.
I do mark the whole text with CTRL+A, then I double click on the status bar within Word, where usually the language is shown, and manually select the proper language and make the checkbox "Do not proof" blank.
The other thing is "Tools" "Options" "Spell checking" "Hide spelling errors" (Extras - Optionen - Rechtschreibung - Rechtschreibfehler ausblenden) - this box MUST be unchecked.
... See more
This is the first question.
To calm your emotions down: this happens to me in Word XP too.
I do mark the whole text with CTRL+A, then I double click on the status bar within Word, where usually the language is shown, and manually select the proper language and make the checkbox "Do not proof" blank.
The other thing is "Tools" "Options" "Spell checking" "Hide spelling errors" (Extras - Optionen - Rechtschreibung - Rechtschreibfehler ausblenden) - this box MUST be unchecked.
Sometimes Word says "to many erros find, the spell checking will be hidden". This is allways with longer documents. What I do is to select the whole document and mark it with "Do not spell check". Then I select lets say the first five pages again and tunr the spell checking on - in this way Word checks only those pages. After they are translated, I set them to no check and go on with the next few pages. Perhaps a bit complicated, but this works.

Sometimes Word starts spellchecking first after the first segment has been opened.

Needles to say, that the document has beend reformated prior to translation to match my language (ie via Standard and other templates).

If you want a screen shot of that, simply please let me know.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dozing.... May 31, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I use Word 2000 running under Office XP.

???
Or was that supposed to read Windows XP?

Puzzled, Ralf

Oh Duuuuuh!

I meant windoze.... Must be off in a doze myself...

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there, bought that t-shirt... May 31, 2004

Wow - super fast responses!

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Done that. No joy.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Done that too.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sometimes Word says "to many erros find, the spell checking will be hidden".

No, it doesn't even do that.... In the bar at the bottom of the screen it says something like "spellcheck running, press esc to discontinue" (rough translation), But it NEVER EVER finds any errors - even if I am certain that there are errors in there....

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Needles to say, that the document has beend reformated prior to translation to match my language (ie via Standard and other templates).

If you want a screen shot of that, simply please let me know.

I didn't have to change the formatting of my document before translating with Trados when I was still using 5.5. Is that different now with 6.5? Seems a bit strange to me if Trados have added an extra step to software that's supposed to do the thinking for us (at least to some extent).

Alison

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, sorry - you are dealing with English.... May 31, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

I didn't have to change the formatting of my document before translating with Trados when I was still using 5.5. Is that different now with 6.5? Seems a bit strange to me if Trados have added an extra step to software that's supposed to do the thinking for us (at least to some extent).

Alison

This is the slight difference between both of us: if I do not change the templates to my language (Polish), I get the text messed very often, as Trados tries to find a CE font for any not existing or PS font (ie Helvetica CE instead for Helvetica), and further tries to reformat the text according to the template. This is because of polish extended characters, which need at least an other CP than English or they need Unicode. English doesn´t use any special characters, so you can dispaly English on anything, even on an oldest computer you´ll find - this is all ASCI. But this is not the answer to your question.

Does the spellchecking work, if you disable Trados (by either renaming Trados*.dot or disabling it in Word)?

See also www.support.trados.com article ID 406 - perhaps you still have old Trados templates in your Word start up folder. This could be a reason.

What kind of spell checker do you have? What are your language settings of Office?

Regards
Jerzy

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean, new installation of 6.5 on new computer May 31, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Does the spellchecking work, if you disable Trados (by either renaming Trados*.dot or disabling it in Word)?

See also www.support.trados.com article ID 406 - perhaps you still have old Trados templates in your Word start up folder. This could be a reason.

What kind of spell checker do you have? What are your language settings of Office?

Regards
Jerzy

I had thought that the spellcheck worked just fine in documents I had created without using Trados - but I've just tried it again and found that it DOESN'T work. So it may not be a Trados-related problem after all.

When I bought my new computer I installed Trados 6.5 on it - i didn't have any word templates installed on it already.

I use the Word spellchecker - German works just fine - it finds my mistakes, but English just isn't working at all.

Alison

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't matter what language I select May 31, 2004

It doesn't matter what language I select - English (USA), ENglish UK, English Australia, Afrikaans, Swahili. THe "Rechtschreibung und Grammatik nicht prüfen" button is OFF for all of them but it still won't find any errors.

The USA dictionary is installed under /programme/..../1033.

English is activated under language settings(Spracheinstellungen).

?-)

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Clean new installation of Office 2k on the same machine I assume May 31, 2004

Did your spell checker used to work before with the same Office installed on your old PC?
This is strange, but maybe you need to install all Service Packs for Office 2k, if they are still available.

On the other hand, may I ask you why you did not upgrade to Office XP at least, or directly to Office 2003? Both are supported in Trados 6.5 - and seeing these offers I wouldn´t hes
... See more
Did your spell checker used to work before with the same Office installed on your old PC?
This is strange, but maybe you need to install all Service Packs for Office 2k, if they are still available.

On the other hand, may I ask you why you did not upgrade to Office XP at least, or directly to Office 2003? Both are supported in Trados 6.5 - and seeing these offers I wouldn´t hesitate a second:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28863&item=3680291596&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28863&item=3679331332&rd=1

I use Office XP with an additional spell checking pack - Proofing Tool Kit - and this works just very fine. I´m then able to spell check French, Spanish and many more - sometimes usefull, if I get mixed documents (ie Canadian rules are sometimes in French and are left so in computer related documents).

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was quite happy with 2000 May 31, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Yes, it worked just fine on my old computer (Office 2000 and Windows 98).

How do I install service packs?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
On the other hand, may I ask you why you did not upgrade to Office XP at least, or directly to Office 2003? Both are supported in Trados 6.5 - and seeing these offers I wouldn´t hesitate a second:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28863&item=3680291596&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28863&item=3679331332&rd=1

Hey Jerzy - I'm Scottish, OK? No seriously, I was quite happy with 2000 and didn't really see the need for any of the added functionalities that came with Office XP...

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
service packs May 31, 2004

Just googled for office service packs and found a bunch for my computer. I'll install them and see what happens...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK, I understand - I come from Cracow, we are the polish Scots :-) May 31, 2004

But nevertheless, an upgrade to Office XP made sense in my case, as XP is far more stable and if it crashes, you get your text restored up till your last keystroke (almost and almost allways).
Since I use it I have no troubles with it at all.

Other question: do you have "auto select language" turned on?
I have it deselected, as this makes no sense, when working with Trados - you have both target and source language in the document, what causes only trouble.

... See more
But nevertheless, an upgrade to Office XP made sense in my case, as XP is far more stable and if it crashes, you get your text restored up till your last keystroke (almost and almost allways).
Since I use it I have no troubles with it at all.

Other question: do you have "auto select language" turned on?
I have it deselected, as this makes no sense, when working with Trados - you have both target and source language in the document, what causes only trouble.

Cheers
Jerzy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One more remark May 31, 2004

Installing service packs on Microsoft products is quite essential to keep ´em running smooth.
I remember, that I wasn´t able to install some software on Windows 2k with Office 2k, because the Windows Installer was not OK! After downloading the appropriate service packs the problem was resolved.

You had Office 2k running with Win 9x, and this was Ok, but on XP there are for sure other common DLLs for both Office and Windows, which may differ, so an "upgrading" via Service Pac
... See more
Installing service packs on Microsoft products is quite essential to keep ´em running smooth.
I remember, that I wasn´t able to install some software on Windows 2k with Office 2k, because the Windows Installer was not OK! After downloading the appropriate service packs the problem was resolved.

You had Office 2k running with Win 9x, and this was Ok, but on XP there are for sure other common DLLs for both Office and Windows, which may differ, so an "upgrading" via Service Packs would be crucial for me.
You can find all downloads for Windows XP here:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/de/default.asp
The tool there is working very well.
Updates for Office are here:
http://office.microsoft.com/OfficeUpdate/default.aspx
Look for Office 2000 updates.
Here too the automated process works just fine.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got all the updates - still no joy May 31, 2004

:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

what now?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, no idea May 31, 2004

I would like to help you - but I couldn´t even find a solution to your problem on MS help pages, so I have to give up...

Sorry
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellcheck with Trados 6.5 in Word 2000

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »