Dongle Migration Problem
Thread poster: 00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 1, 2004

I just got the upgrade from Freelance 6 to 6.5 and though my dongle is properly installed and working well (recognized by Workbench as having the proper licence for Freelance 6 components), the migration file I was sent by email does't detect any dongle.

I've written to Trados but as I don't have any record of diligence on their part (as opposed to SDLX, say), I'm appealing to anyone who might have an idea as to how to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.
Est
... See more
I just got the upgrade from Freelance 6 to 6.5 and though my dongle is properly installed and working well (recognized by Workbench as having the proper licence for Freelance 6 components), the migration file I was sent by email does't detect any dongle.

I've written to Trados but as I don't have any record of diligence on their part (as opposed to SDLX, say), I'm appealing to anyone who might have an idea as to how to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.
Esther
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:08
English to German
+ ...
Check the license number Jun 1, 2004

Hi Esther,

The migration program is usually set for one or more specific license numbers (click on Show Licences to display it/them) - if there is a mismatch between the license number of your dongle (go to Help - About in Workbench or click on Check Dongle in the migration program) to check the license number) and the license programmed in the migration program, it won't be possible to upgrade.

I don't think anyone else but Trados Support will be able to help you here - did you respond to the address shown in the message to which the migration program was attached?

Best regards, Ralf

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No mIsmatch but no cigar Jun 1, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The migration program is usually set for one or more specific license numbers (click on Show Licences to display it/them) - if there is a mismatch between the license number of your dongle (go to Help - About in Workbench or click on Check Dongle in the migration program) to check the license number) and the license programmed in the migration program, it won't be possible to upgrade.

The licence number I see under "About" in Workbench is the same as the one in the name of the migration file.

I don't think anyone else but Trados Support will be able to help you here - did you respond to the address shown in the message to which the migration program was attached?

Best regards, Ralf

Yes, I responded to the address from which the migration file was sent and also from [email protected]. I was asking here because it might have happened to someone else and besides, I don't really expect a prompt response from Trados (unlike, say, SDLX or Wordfast) so why not try?

Thanks Ralf!

Esther, reluctant Trados user

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Where exactly does the problem occur? Jun 1, 2004

Hi again,
The licence number I see under "About" in Workbench is the same as the one in the name of the migration file.

So what exactly happens if you click on Migrate Dongle?

Ralf

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting Help Jun 1, 2004

Hi Ralf -

I did hear from Trados support - faster than I expected. It would seem that there's a problem with the file I was sent. I'm supposed to receive another one tomorrow.

For your own curiosity, the dongle was simply not seen by the migration file, whether I pressed "Check dongle" or "Migrate dongle". It said there was no dongle.

Best,
Esther

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No curiosity... Jun 2, 2004

...or just a little bit...
For your own curiosity, the dongle was simply not seen by the migration file, whether I pressed "Check dongle" or "Migrate dongle". It said there was no dongle.

...just trying to get closer to the problem - very often, vital details are missing when problems are described. Not in your case, as I could see.

Cheers, Ralf

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Migration Accomplished! Jun 2, 2004

Well, it was not a Trados problem, after all.

I did a number of things, including deleting files in the system32 folder and reinstalling the Rainbow driver for both parallel and USB - in case the system was troubled by the presence of my parallel SDLX dongle. I don't know for sure what worked in the end but the Trados migration file could finally detect my dongle. From there, migrating was no problem.

Esther, a little contrite

[Edited at 2004-06-02 18:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle Migration Problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »