Word: Trados task bar and menu disappeard
Thread poster: Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Local time: 22:50
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 1, 2004

I suddenly noticed,that the Trados task bar and menu disappeared from Word. Is this a .dot file problem? What do I have to do to get the right .dot file or what else can be done?
Thanks, Rita

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
Restart Word Jun 1, 2004

It happened to me to and I have a vague memory of having to close Trados and Word, restart Word and it should appear automatically.

Could be worth a try

Anette

Rita Fejér wrote:

I suddenly noticed,that the Trados task bar and menu disappeared from Word. Is this a .dot file problem? What do I have to do to get the right .dot file or what else can be done?
Thanks, Rita

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Jun 1, 2004

Hi Rita,
Can you please identify which versions of MS Word and Workbench you're using?

Withouth this information it's virtually impossible to point you to the precise files and paths.

Thanks, Ralf

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version Jun 2, 2004

Ralf,

I use Trados FL 6.5 and Word XP.

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't help Jun 2, 2004

close Trados and Word, restart Word and it should appear automatically.

--- this didn't help for me. Thanks anyway, Rita

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check for trados6.dot Jun 2, 2004

Thanks, Rita,
Please check if the trados6.dot template is active in Word (Extras - Vorlagen und Add-Ins / Templates and Add-ins).

To be automatically started every time you start Word, make sure that the template is in the Word Startup folder.

You shouldn't have any older versions of the template (tw4win97.dot, tw4win2k.dot or trados5.dot) activated at the same time.

... See more
Thanks, Rita,
Please check if the trados6.dot template is active in Word (Extras - Vorlagen und Add-Ins / Templates and Add-ins).

To be automatically started every time you start Word, make sure that the template is in the Word Startup folder.

You shouldn't have any older versions of the template (tw4win97.dot, tw4win2k.dot or trados5.dot) activated at the same time.

Although this article from the Trados KB refers to Word 97/2000, it might also be helpful.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This works! Jun 2, 2004

Thanks Ralf,

I looked up in the add-in's and there it was but it was not checked. I checked it and now it works.

Thanks,
Rita

stephen mewes
stephen mewes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
Swedish to English
+ ...
RE: Trados task bar and menu disappeared Jul 3, 2004

I have tried everything that has been suggested without any success. The trados5.dot template (I'm using version 5.5 FL) does not even seem to exist. I'm also using Windows XP and Word 2003 if this helps. Thanks for trying anyway!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need to upgrade to T6.5 Jul 3, 2004

Hi again,
quincey wrote:

I have tried everything that has been suggested without any success. The trados5.dot template (I'm using version 5.5 FL) does not even seem to exist. I'm also using Windows XP and Word 2003 if this helps. Thanks for trying anyway!

Now that explains it (and that's why I keep pestering people, asking them to say which versions they're using).

Trados 6.5 was the first version to fully support Office 2003 (whose internal code is fundamentally different from Office XP, for example). You cannot use T5.5 for Office 2003, AFAIK.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word: Trados task bar and menu disappeard

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »