Is it possible to import Excell dictionary into MultiTerm 5.5 or 6.0?
Thread poster: Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Jun 12, 2004

I have quite a big dictionary in Excell, that must be used in project. It's very cumbersome to check all the entries all the time in Excell file, so Is it possible to import it into MultiTerm (I translate using Trados)? Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help!

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Jun 12, 2004

I can send you a little programm for conversion csv-files to import file of Multiterm v.5

[Edited at 2004-06-12 08:59]

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Can I have it too? Jun 12, 2004

Hi Victor,

Is there a download link for this program?

Spiros

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Victor! Jun 12, 2004

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

I can send you a little programm for conversion csv-files to import file of Multiterm v.5

Thanx Victor! Would be nice to get this program, but does it really can help me to import the xls file to Multiterm? because you mentioned some other unknownd for me extention \'csv\'. Just in case my e-mail address: [email protected]

Thanks a lot!

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
+ ...
--- Jun 12, 2004

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Hi Victor,

Spiros

Unfortunately, no link. This is my program and it live on my computer only. Spiros, give me your e-mail, I send you.

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:25
English to Italian
+ ...
The macro for converting Excel files into Multiterm is available on the TW user list website Jun 12, 2004

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Yes! There are two great macros developed by Sergei Mouraviev and available for free on the TW user list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/ One of the macro is for converting Excel files into Multiterm, the other is for converting Excel files into Workbench files.
After registerig to the group, click the Files link in the left panel, then choose Macros -> Macros from Users -> Converter.zip. Download the zip file and unzip it, then open the Multiterm macro, be sure to select Enable Macros from the dialog that should appear, then open your file and from the Excel toolbar choose Tools -> Export to Multiterm. It works lice a charm!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert Jun 12, 2004

Hi all,
MultiTerm iX Build 267 or higher include a conversion utility called MT Convert that you can use to create import files.

HTH, Ralf

Vetta (X)
Vetta (X)
English to Spanish
My secret... Jun 13, 2004

Myron, do the following:

Highlight the first column, from the Insert menu select Insert Column.
Type two asterisks (**) into the first cell.
Copy this cell to the whole column by dragging the cell with the two asterisks (**) down the column.
For each field, highlight the column and select Insert Column from the Insert menu. A new column will be inserted directly in front of the highlighted one.
Insert the appropriate field name ( for example) into the top
... See more
Myron, do the following:

Highlight the first column, from the Insert menu select Insert Column.
Type two asterisks (**) into the first cell.
Copy this cell to the whole column by dragging the cell with the two asterisks (**) down the column.
For each field, highlight the column and select Insert Column from the Insert menu. A new column will be inserted directly in front of the highlighted one.
Insert the appropriate field name ( for example) into the top cell of each new column. The field name should always be surrounded by angled brackets and written exactly as it appears in your MultiTerm database.
For each field name, copy the cell to the whole column as in #4.
Save the file as tab delimited text (.txt). There will be a message alerting you that only the active sheet will be saved, click OK, and another message that formatting may change, click Yes.
Close the file in Excel. You may be prompted to save the changes again, click No.
Finally, format the Text file for MultiTerm Import by deleting all blank spaces: copy the blank space between ** and the first < and replace all with nothing. And, voilá!!

Regards,
Vetta.
Collapse

Cinzia Barrella
Cinzia Barrella  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
English to Italian
Did you try the MT Converter? Jul 5, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,
MultiTerm iX Build 267 or higher include a conversion utility called MT Convert that you can use to create import files.

HTH, Ralf

Hallo Ralf,

I was wondering if you have tried the MT Converter successfully. I am very new to Trados, and I am still learning how to use it, but I have been trying for 3 days to import a very simple Excel glossary without success. The Project creation phase is fine, but then when I try to import, zero entries are processed... Any idea why is this happening? What could be going wrong?

Thank you in advance
Cinzia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Database setup file / import file Jul 5, 2004

Hi Cinzia,

I was wondering if you have tried the MT Converter successfully.

Yes; several times, actually.

I am very new to Trados, and I am still learning how to use it, but I have been trying for 3 days to import a very simple Excel glossary without success. The Project creation phase is fine, but then when I try to import, zero entries are processed... Any idea why is this happening? What could be going wrong?

Have a look at the log file created when importing - what information is provided there?

The conversion process creates two files: an .xdt file, which is the database definition, and an .xml file, which contains the entries. The first step is to create a termbase, using the .xdt file: only then will the import work without the need for further adjustment.

Are you "simply" converting Excel to MTiX, or do you want to import the Excel data into an existing termbase?

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to import Excell dictionary into MultiTerm 5.5 or 6.0?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »