change color and size of font in Trados 5
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
Jun 13, 2004

I am revising a translation made from English into Spanish. I am using the Edit mode in Trados 5 to allow me to see the English and Spanish segments simultaneously and make my changes.

How can I change the color and size of the text from the Spanish segments (the segments containing the target language)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jun 13, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Can you please indicate which file format you're working on? IOW are you using TagEditor or MS Word?

On a general note, please provide as much information as you can when asking for technical support - this will make it easier to help you.

Thanks, Ralf

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Jun 13, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...to Trados Support.

Can you please indicate which file format you're working on? IOW are you using TagEditor or MS Word?

Thanks, Ralf

I am using the Tag Editor

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File format, please... Jun 13, 2004

This is a bit cumbersome, you know...

galone_es wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I am using the Tag Editor

Ok, here goes the next set of questions...

- Which file format are you working on (the source file format, not .ttx, that's obvious)?
- Are you trying to set a different font than the one prescribed by the original? If so, why?
- Have you placed the source tags in the target segment?
- Why do you think the wrong font is being used? Have you checked the Preview?

Best regards, Ralf

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
file format Jun 13, 2004

El file format is "TRADOStag Document" (this is the file type as described when you select the file name on Windows Explorer with the right mouse button and then select Properties).

I want to change color and size of font just for better legibility. I am afraid I cannot give you much more info. I am completely a newbie to Trados.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't change fonts unless required Jun 13, 2004

Hi again, "galone",
(I'd much prefer to address you by name, but that's a bit of a problem here... )

galone_es wrote:

El file format is "TRADOStag Document" (this is the file type as described when you select the file name on Windows Explorer with the right mouse button and then select Properties).

That's not the original file format. TTX is a proprietary XML format used by Trados when working with tagged files - these can be HTML/SGML/XML, DTP formats such as Quark XPress, FrameMaker or InDesign, or MS PowerPoint or Excel (with the latter two only supported by TagEditor 6.5). The reason why I keep asking you about the source file format is that the tags controlling fonts are different in each environment.

I want to change color and size of font just for better legibility.

Not a good idea, as tampering with tags might damage your document. Why don't you just change the zoom factor in TagEditor?

I am completely a newbie to Trados.

You may want to check the Trados File Formats Reference Guide as well as the Tutorials, bearing in mind that these are based on the most recent versions.

HTH, Ralf

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
file format Jun 13, 2004

The original file format is html (the file extension is .htm).
It is a bilingual text intended to be opened with the TagEditor of Trados.

Still, I would like to change the font size and color of the target segments to suit better my preferences. I am afraid I will reviewing a high volume of text on the near future and want to feel comfortable.

Right now I am doing preparatory work to adjust myself to Trados, which is a new tool for me. I always have used IBM
... See more

Still, I would like to change the font size and color of the target segments to suit better my preferences. I am afraid I will reviewing a high volume of text on the near future and want to feel comfortable.

Right now I am doing preparatory work to adjust myself to Trados, which is a new tool for me. I always have used IBM Translation Manager, which to me is much more user-friendly than Trados.

While doing this practice with the Tag Editor, I have erased by accident a target segment and I am not able to type again the translation. The translation unit now only carries the source segment; the translation has been lost.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Insert HTML tags - but be aware of the risks Jun 13, 2004

In this case, you can use HTML tags.

"Feeling comfortable" is one thing - but what is your customer going to say if the formatting is distorted?

Right now I am doing preparatory work to adjust myself to Trados, which is a new tool for me. I always have used IBM Translation Manager, which to me is much more user-friendly than Trados.

Wouldn't this also be due to the fact that you're used to IBM TM?

While doing this practice with the Tag Editor, I have erased by accident a target segment and I am not able to type again the translation. The translation unit now only carries the source segment; the translation has been lost.

Did you delete the unit in the TM (which, since you need to confirm deletion, can hardly happen by accident), or did you erase it in TagEditor? What do you mean by "not being able to type again"?

Sorry to keep asking questions back, but your queries only carry the very minimum of information... Did you go through the Tutorials and the File Formats Reference Guide before starting to work with TagEditor?

Cheers, Ralf

mluisa
mluisa
Spanish to English
Multiterm Jun 14, 2004

Hola, intento aprender a manejar el trados y necesito saber si puedo guardar la memoria de multiterm, tengo que reinstalar la version 5 porque tengo problemas y no quiero perder todo lo que ya he conseguido.
alguien me puede ayudar?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

change color and size of font in Trados 5

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »