TM created from aligned files not working as expected
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
English to Spanish
Jun 18, 2004

Here is what another beginner’s TRADOS question.
I have followed the tutorials, I have read much of the manuals, I have found guides in the Internet which I have printed and read. I even followed two of those guides, step by step, and everything worked marvelously. I created new TM’s and I was able to see how every time it encountered a term I had already translated it would supply it for me. So far, so good.
But then I went on to try creating a TM from previous translation mate
... See more
Here is what another beginner’s TRADOS question.
I have followed the tutorials, I have read much of the manuals, I have found guides in the Internet which I have printed and read. I even followed two of those guides, step by step, and everything worked marvelously. I created new TM’s and I was able to see how every time it encountered a term I had already translated it would supply it for me. So far, so good.
But then I went on to try creating a TM from previous translation material I have. I aligned two files, exported/imported into TW, thereby creating another TM which remained open after the import operation. I started translating a Word document and nothing happened, I did not get any matches from the aligned text and I did not get any matches from the text just translated although there were words and phrases being repeated all over that I had just translated and that I know were in the aligned files from which I created this TM. I closed the document w/o saving it, closed the TM, closed TW, reopened TW, reopened the TM, reopened the document, started all over again and then the TM started supplying me with hits (from the previous translation I just closed but not from the aligned files) so I can see that the TM got updated.
My status right now is: if I create the TM from scratch everything works fine but can not get a TM from aligned files to work.
This is Freelance 6.5 in Windows 2000 and Word 2000.
Your answers, help, suggestions, and comments will be appreciated.
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Welcome to Trados Jun 18, 2004

I've had it for years, read the documentation, etc. and I could write a call for help every day if I didn't have Wordfast and SDLX to turn to when I get stuck.

It's simply the worst CAT tool of all. Why do I still upgrade it? Just to reassure clients that I have it.

I was happy to have Tag Editor for one project. But that was before I got SDLX and before I became dysfunctional with Tag Editor after upgrading to 6.5.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 20
... See more
I've had it for years, read the documentation, etc. and I could write a call for help every day if I didn't have Wordfast and SDLX to turn to when I get stuck.

It's simply the worst CAT tool of all. Why do I still upgrade it? Just to reassure clients that I have it.

I was happy to have Tag Editor for one project. But that was before I got SDLX and before I became dysfunctional with Tag Editor after upgrading to 6.5.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-06-18 06:33]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:40
English to German
+ ...
Check languages/locales Jun 18, 2004

Hi Luisa,
One issue to check is whether the languages/locales of the alignment match those of the TM. Have a look at the export file created from the alignment - the individual translation units (TUs) created look like this:

Sorry, I cannot show the code in the forum, due to BBCode restraints.

If I try to import this into a TM that's set to German > English (US) (EN-US), the units won't be imported. Did you check whether the import process actually imported units (there's feedback in the status line after import has been completed)?

Did you reorganise the TM during or after import?

Can you find translations using the Concordance function?

You can also try lowering the Minimum Match Value (Options - Translation Memory Options - General). IIRC the default value is 70% - I'm using 40%.

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-18 16:38]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 16:39]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 16:39]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 16:40]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 16:42]

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
TM from aligned files Jun 18, 2004

Thank you all for the answers and warnings.
Ralf, I will try your suggestions and will get return with feedback.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
TM created from aligned files not working as expected Jun 18, 2004

Ralf:

I promised I would return with some feedback.
This is what I see inside the .txt file which contains the TUs after alignment. It is the same pair of flags I see on the TW when this TM is opened.

16062004, 09:57:44
ALIGN!
SUMMARY PLAN DESCRIPTION
RESUMEN DESCRIPTIVO DEL PLAN

ALIGN!
As amended and restated effective January 1, 2004
Según sus enmiendas y su nueva re
... See more
Ralf:

This is what I see inside the .txt file which contains the TUs after alignment. It is the same pair of flags I see on the TW when this TM is opened.

ALIGN!
SUMMARY PLAN DESCRIPTION
RESUMEN DESCRIPTIVO DEL PLAN

ALIGN!
As amended and restated effective January 1, 2004
Según sus enmiendas y su nueva redacción al 1 de enero de 2004

ALIGN!
Issued April 2004
Fecha de publicación: Abril de 2004

ALIGN!
INTRODUCTION TO THE PLAN
INTRODUCCIÓN AL PLAN

Following your sugestions I reorganized the TM after which I got this message: Reorganisation finished successfully. 535 TUs reloaded.

I then tried the same translation again, and again all the matches I got were from the previous translation that I started and closed w/o saving the file (TM got updated but it does not seem to have any of the 535 TUs from the aligned files).

I also lowered the Minimum Match Value and tried the Concordance function with no results. I am baffled!

Can I go back to step 1, open the align project, realign the files (I already did this and later found some counteradvice about it)and export/import again in order to create the TM again?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:40
English to German
+ ...
Send me the files... Jun 18, 2004

Hi Luisa,

Thanks - just with my post above, the BB Code used in the forum suppresses the display of code within pointed brackets, but I can see by using the Reply with Quote function that the alignment was for Spanish (Spain) to English (US), right - same as the TM, I assume.

Following your sugestions I reorganized the TM after which I got this message: Reorganisation finished successfully. 535 TUs reloaded.

Is that the total number including the aligned units?

I will contact you through your profile - I need to look at the files to perhaps get an idea of what might be wrong here.

Best regards, Ralf

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
TM not working as expected Jun 19, 2004

Ralf
After sending the files to you I decided to forget about the aligned TM and started TW with a fresh, brand new TM. I then started a translation and after one or two hits, obviously just stored from the text just translated and now being repeated, it stopped doing even that. I kept advancing on the text and finding and translating the same words and expressions over and over again because the TM did not match any of them even though they had been translated 30 seconds before and obviou
... See more
Ralf
After sending the files to you I decided to forget about the aligned TM and started TW with a fresh, brand new TM. I then started a translation and after one or two hits, obviously just stored from the text just translated and now being repeated, it stopped doing even that. I kept advancing on the text and finding and translating the same words and expressions over and over again because the TM did not match any of them even though they had been translated 30 seconds before and obviously had to be already stored in the TM.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM created from aligned files not working as expected

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »