memory in text document (Mod: How to import .txt files into the TM)
Thread poster: Flore Abadie
Flore Abadie
Flore Abadie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:39
English to French
Jun 23, 2004

Hi,

How can I use the memory provided if it is a notepad format or in a excel format?I have TRADOS 6.5FL,
Thanks
Flore

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-23 12:11]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Import Jun 23, 2004

Hi Flore,
I'm somewhat confused by your reference to "Excel format" - I assume you received an export file (.txt).

Provided that the format of that text file complies with the Trados import/export format, you can import the file into a TM via File/Import. If the source (or quality) of the data is uncertain, you should probably import it into an empty TM before mixing it with your exsting TM.

HTH, Ralf

Flore Abadie
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Import Jun 23, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Flore,
I'm somewhat confused by your reference to "Excel format" - I assume you received an export file (.txt).

Provided that the format of that text file complies with the Trados import/export format, you can import the file into a TM via File/Import. If the source (or quality) of the data is uncertain, you should probably import it into an empty TM before mixing it with your exsting TM.

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

I also have been provided with a glossary in an excel format. How can I use it with TRADOS?
Thank you,
Flore

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Jun 23, 2004

Hi again,
On a general note, it's always useful to provide full system details, i.e. the exact versions ("builds") you're using.

I also have been provided with a glossary in an excel format. How can I use it with TRADOS?

I need to know which version of MultiTerm you're using...

Best regards, Ralf

Flore Abadie
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
version of multiterm Jun 23, 2004

I need to know which version of MultiTerm you're using...

It is 6.2.0.267

Thanks Ralf,

Flore

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert Jun 23, 2004

Thanks.
This version of MTiX comes with a conversion utility called MT Convert - simply follow the instructions of the wizard. This will create two files: a termbase definition file (.xdt), which is used to create the termbase in MTiX, and an import file (.xml), which contains the terms. Once you have defined the termbase, you can import the terms into the termbase.

HTH, Ralf

Flore Abadie
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 23, 2004

Thanks Ralf, I will try my best. Just a last advice: How do you I put two memories into one? Thanks and good afternoon,
Flore

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Export/import Jun 23, 2004

How do you put two memories into one?

Export one of them and import this into the other. Alternatively, export both and import them into a new TM. (The latter version is advisable if you need to change settings.)

Cheers, Ralf

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
English to Turkish
+ ...
Do you aware of alignment capabilities? Jun 23, 2004

Here is a simple and effective way that never fails when creating fresh TM's or adding to already existing ones.

Suppose you have a file in X language, and another file containing its translation into Y language,
Or suppose you have a table with two columns, one for the original text, other for the translation.

And you want to combine the two into a TM file.

here is the procedure:

1. If you have two separate files, be sure that the files
... See more
Here is a simple and effective way that never fails when creating fresh TM's or adding to already existing ones.

Suppose you have a file in X language, and another file containing its translation into Y language,
Or suppose you have a table with two columns, one for the original text, other for the translation.

And you want to combine the two into a TM file.

here is the procedure:

1. If you have two separate files, be sure that the files are in perfect match, otherwise, misalignment would occur. I.e., for every segment in one (original) document, there should be one corresponding segment in the translated document.

DOC1 (column1) DOC2 (column2)
ABC (sentence, etc.) XYZ (sentence, etc.)
DEF KLM, etc.

2. If you have single document with a table of two columns, then save the columns in separate documents

3. Save the documents in "rtf" format.

4. Open Winalign

5. File/new project
Determine source language, segmentation rules
Determine target language, segmentation rules
6. Files menu
Browse and enter the source file and target file

7. Press "align filenames"
8. Export as "translator's workbench import format"
9. close winalign
10. open Workbench
11. Open the TM you want to import new data.
12. Import the newly created project

h.i.h.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memory in text document (Mod: How to import .txt files into the TM)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »