S-tagger for FrameMaker/font mapping
Thread poster: CML
CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
French to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

When I convert a FrameMaker file with S-tagger using my US operating system and send it off for translation everything works fine. The translation I receive back looks OK, the characters (in this case) Turkish(and in the past Slovak) appear correctly in the tagged .rtf file. However, the minute I convert it back to a .mif several of the characters become converted to strange symbols.
Does anyone know why this is happening and how to remedy the situation?

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
Local time: 08:42
English to German
+ ...
You need to change the fonts in FrameMaker. Jul 20, 2004

CML wrote:

When I convert a FrameMaker file with S-tagger using my US operating system and send it off for translation everything works fine. The translation I receive back looks OK, the characters (in this case) Turkish(and in the past Slovak) appear correctly in the tagged .rtf file. However, the minute I convert it back to a .mif several of the characters become converted to strange symbols.
Does anyone know why this is happening and how to remedy the situation?

This is normal, because FrameMaker is not a Unicode Application. You will need to change the fonts of the Styles in FrameMaker. E.g. if a paragraph style is set to "Arial" you will need to change it to "Arial TUR" for Turkish, "Arial CE" for Slovak, "Arial Greek" for Greek and so on.
Also, please make sure that you have set the correct target language in S-Tagger Settings tab as S-Tagger maps the unicode characters coming from TTX/RTF to FrameMakers internal FrameRoman code page. A wrong target lanugage might result in a wrong mapping and therefore wrong characters even if you change the font.

If you cannot find Fonts like "Arial TUR" on your system you will need to install the WGL Assistant (http://wgl.typ.pl/) to "unlock" the CodePage Subgroups of fonts that provide these subgroups (e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Verdana etc.)

(Besides, at tracom we have a FrameScript that changes all paragraphs styles in all file in a FrameMaker Book to a new codepage releated font that you can define. You ma contact me for details.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

S-tagger for FrameMaker/font mapping

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »