Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 03:03
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jun 29, 2004

I apologize if I am repeating a common question. I have a large PDF-file with pictures that I would like to translate using TRADOS. Is that possible and how do I do that? I need to return an unclean TRADOS file after translation. I have Trados Freelance 6.5. Thank you in advance. The tutorial is cryptic.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:03
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Translation of PDF files Jun 29, 2004

You need to convert the file to RTF format first. You can use Adobe Acrobat, Solid Converter PDF (www.solidpdf.com), ScanSoft PDF Converter (www.scansoft.com) and probably some other tools. These programs are not free. You cannot use Trados to translate the PDF file directly.

But if the agency wants you to deliver an
... See more
You need to convert the file to RTF format first. You can use Adobe Acrobat, Solid Converter PDF (www.solidpdf.com), ScanSoft PDF Converter (www.scansoft.com) and probably some other tools. These programs are not free. You cannot use Trados to translate the PDF file directly.

But if the agency wants you to deliver an uncleaned file, they should definitely provide you with the source file that the PDF was created from. Or they should pay you for the conversion.

And yes, this is a common question around here, so you could find more information by searching the forums.
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
You must extract the text Jun 29, 2004

Hi.

Yes this is a common topic. Basically, your PDF document wii be very difficult to duplicate if , as you say, it has a lot of pictures.
Remember that PDF is a way to distribute documents that have been created with DTP software such as QuarkXpress, Framemaker, Pagemaker, and a host of others.

To extract the text for translation with Trados, you will need to extract the text to Word or RTF format. To do this, you will need special software, such as Scansoft's O
... See more
Hi.

Yes this is a common topic. Basically, your PDF document wii be very difficult to duplicate if , as you say, it has a lot of pictures.
Remember that PDF is a way to distribute documents that have been created with DTP software such as QuarkXpress, Framemaker, Pagemaker, and a host of others.

To extract the text for translation with Trados, you will need to extract the text to Word or RTF format. To do this, you will need special software, such as Scansoft's OmniPage 14, PDFGrabber, PDF converter or any of the many options available.

This will give you a text rendition of the PDF document that you can then translate using Trados.

However, if the client wants the exact same document as the original, you will need to get the files in their original format (.qsc, fm, etc.), then you will need to convert the file to Word format, translate it and import the text back to the DTP format.

Remember that the rates for translation are different if you will also be doing DTP. Also, I recommend having a second pair of eyes proof your translation, as the DTP file should be a file ready for publication.

Best regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Abbyy Finereader is best Jun 30, 2004

If you really have to extract the text, that means if your customer can not or does not want to give you an editable file, Finereader is the best alternative. Finereader extracts the text as it is displayed by Acrobat, whereas most pdf-extractors try to understand the pdf-format and mix things up, because none of them fully understands pdf.
But you could also try Wordfast. Sometimes Wf can translate pdf and other file formats directly, but as you customer wants an uncleaned Word file, he w
... See more
If you really have to extract the text, that means if your customer can not or does not want to give you an editable file, Finereader is the best alternative. Finereader extracts the text as it is displayed by Acrobat, whereas most pdf-extractors try to understand the pdf-format and mix things up, because none of them fully understands pdf.
But you could also try Wordfast. Sometimes Wf can translate pdf and other file formats directly, but as you customer wants an uncleaned Word file, he wont be happy if you send him a translated pdf-file instead.
Collapse

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Is SolidConverter really good? Jun 30, 2004

Hi,

Do you have good experience with SolidConverter? I have tried out the PDFConverter from ScanSoft and there are many problems. So I must have a "localized" version in order to have diacriticals (Polish in my case) converted properly. The converter is very slow and in most cases is telling, that it cannot convert the file because of non-standard encoding (it is converting thereafter, but with errors). Finally - the files converted are very large and there are problems when editing
... See more
Hi,

Do you have good experience with SolidConverter? I have tried out the PDFConverter from ScanSoft and there are many problems. So I must have a "localized" version in order to have diacriticals (Polish in my case) converted properly. The converter is very slow and in most cases is telling, that it cannot convert the file because of non-standard encoding (it is converting thereafter, but with errors). Finally - the files converted are very large and there are problems when editing them with Word+Trados Workbench.

Is SolidConverter better?

Regards
Wladyslaw Janowski
Collapse

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
ScanSoft PDF Converter Jun 30, 2004

I have used SolidConverter for quite some time now. There are several options when you set up a conversion, e.g you can have RTF text with/without pictures and with/without page layout.

mario
PS
I used converted files for SDLX, not TRADOS, but you need RTF for that tool as well.

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 03:03
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 30, 2004

Thank you for all your useful advice!

abyeder
abyeder
English
ABBYY PDF transformer Aug 2, 2004

There is a better software with a better OCR engine
http://www.abbyy.com/products_de/?param=34225

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing PDF-file to Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »