Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 1, 2004

I just ran a Trados analysis for a big project that I completed and I got a different number from the actual word number. The word number that Trados gave to me was 3.8% less than the actual number. It makes quite a bit of difference on huge projects.

Any ideas on why would this happen?
Do you trust Trados word counting? I have trusted it so far, but I guess not anymore.
Monika

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:45
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-( Jul 1, 2004

Hi!
Unfortunately, I have noticed this too on serveral occasions. I don't know why this happens, though...
The more tools you have to count words, the more results you get!
I'd like to know what other colleagues rely on to count words? When you have different results, which one prevails?
Regards,
Valeria

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:45
English to German
+ ...
"Actual"? Jul 1, 2004

Hi Monika,
I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an "actual" or "definitive" word count - not even when counting manually - as everything depends on convention. AFAIK there are even differences between different versions of Word - hence the existence of special word-count programs.

Have a look at this article from the Trados Knowledge Base, which might explain so
... See more
Hi Monika,
I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an "actual" or "definitive" word count - not even when counting manually - as everything depends on convention. AFAIK there are even differences between different versions of Word - hence the existence of special word-count programs.

Have a look at this article from the Trados Knowledge Base, which might explain some of the differences.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
certain Word Processors do not count words in certain formats. Jul 1, 2004

You never get an exact count with different software, even with different versions of the same application.

This arises from the fact that applications treat certain formats in different ways.

For example, MS Word does not recognize (count)words in Text Boxes no matter how large they are. Just create a text box, and place 10,000 words in it. When you count, MS Word would indicate 0!!! Therefore, you should be careful if you count documents in MS Word that have plenty of
... See more
You never get an exact count with different software, even with different versions of the same application.

This arises from the fact that applications treat certain formats in different ways.

For example, MS Word does not recognize (count)words in Text Boxes no matter how large they are. Just create a text box, and place 10,000 words in it. When you count, MS Word would indicate 0!!! Therefore, you should be careful if you count documents in MS Word that have plenty of "Text Boxes"
By contrast, it counts numbers, digits, even dots, etc. as words. For example, in MS Word, "one," counts as 1 word but "one ," counts as 2 words!!! Which means that your comma is a word too!

Therefore, it would be wiser to be flexible about such counts, and allow room for such differences.

h.i.h.
Collapse

aviloria
aviloria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Numbers Jul 1, 2004

One of the main differences between Trados and MS Word Word Count is that Trados does not count numbers, so a sentence like 'Just 3 words' is 3 words for Word and 2 words for Trados.

Alberto

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you very much Jul 1, 2004

to everyone who replied. My text was plain MS Word text (no special formatting, no tables.) However, it did have lots of numbers, bullets, etc., so this might have made the difference.

Ralf, the article you put on this thread was very helpful indeed, thank you.

Have a great day everyone,
Monika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados word counting different from the actual word counting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »