My Trados Database (ending *.txt) is (suddenly) very but very large...
Thread poster: materol
materol
materol
Argentina
Local time: 04:57
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 9, 2004

I offen export and import my translation memory (*.txt).
Suddenly, perhaps in the last 10 days, I've noticed that in the process from exporting to importing my database was (and is) larger. I remember that my database had about 90.000 translation units (10 days ago). Now (a week later) it has over 170.000 units. And I work very hard, but not that hard!!!!
And perhaps the translation has no more than 2000 words before exporting, but my TM annouces 20.000 units more!!!

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Multiple translations? Jul 9, 2004

materol wrote:

I offen export and import my translation memory (*.txt).
I've noticed that in the process from exporting to importing my database was (and is) larger. And perhaps the translation has no more than 2000 words before exporting, but my TM annouces 20.000 units more!!!

Check to see if you have selected "Allow multiple translations for identical source segments"

If you have, and you do not choose "Overwrite" when you import the database, you will be duplicating your segments each time.

HIH

materol
materol
Argentina
Local time: 04:57
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merge and Overwrite Jul 10, 2004

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for your help.
Is it the same "merge" and "allow multiple translations for identical source segements"??????
I think I always had "merge". (That is not the first time that something wrong with the TM happens, but I think I had allways merge).

Thank you!
María Teresa

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Check to see if you have selected "Allow multiple translations for identical source segments"

If you have, and you do not choose "Overwrite" when you import the database, you will be duplicating your segments each time.

HIH

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:57
German to Spanish
a lot of segments! Jul 10, 2004

materol wrote:

I remember that my database had about 90.000 translation units (10 days ago). Now (a week later) it has over 170.000 units. And I work very hard, but not that hard!...

Just a question, have you all your clients together in a TM?

90.000 segments are a lot!!

Saludos

Toledo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Trados Database (ending *.txt) is (suddenly) very but very large...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »