Thread poster: Slovakia
Slovakia
Slovakia
Local time: 19:27
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 10, 2004

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I have just installed Trados and did their first tutorial. Everything went well until I tried to "Clean Up' the translation. I got an error message saying that:

"Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error"

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I have looked through their help documentation and can't find any answers.

Thanks in advance.
... See more
Hello all,

I have just installed Trados and did their first tutorial. Everything went well until I tried to "Clean Up' the translation. I got an error message saying that:

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I have looked through their help documentation and can't find any answers.

Thanks in advance.

Maria
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Use the error number... Jul 10, 2004

Make a note of the error number (that is usually) shown at the bottom of the workbench window, and then use this number to search the Trados Knowledge Base (http://support.trados.com/search.asp) for a solution (enter the error number in the I’m looking for the Error number: field. That is the most effective way to solve Trados problems.

Another tip is to search the Tr
... See more
Make a note of the error number (that is usually) shown at the bottom of the workbench window, and then use this number to search the Trados Knowledge Base (http://support.trados.com/search.asp) for a solution (enter the error number in the I’m looking for the Error number: field. That is the most effective way to solve Trados problems.

Another tip is to search the Trados yahoo group archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/ for at solution.

I'm not, however, familiar with your particular problem, but maybe someone else has tried the same.

Good luck!
Jørgen
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Try to close it first Jul 10, 2004

Slovakia wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Maria

Ol_Besh
Ol_Besh  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:27
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
In memoriam
Please check, whether there probably are non-roman letters in the file name Jul 10, 2004

Slovakia wrote:

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Maria

Hi Maria,

I've had the same problem a short time ago.
The reason was a single German "ü" in the file name.
I guess, the same could also cause every other non-roman letter, let's say, in Slovakian or so. After I've changed "ü" through "ue", there were no problems while cleaning up at all.

Good luck.

Sascha

[Edited at 2004-07-10 19:02]

[Edited at 2004-07-10 19:03]

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
check the file name Jul 10, 2004

The problem may not be related to Trados directly.
If there are characters other than standard Latin character set, remove them and try again.

[Edited at 2004-07-10 18:58]

Slovakia
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for all your quick replies. What a very helpful community!!

I was only using Roman characters, so that was not the problem. However, I entered the error number as Jorgen suggested and it said that it was a problem for users of Word 6/ Word 95. I have Word 97, so I don\'t know why I am suffering from this problem.

The solution was to save the Word file as a RTF (rich text format). Now it seems to be fine, but I don\'t understand why I cannot clean normal .doc
... See more
Thanks for all your quick replies. What a very helpful community!!

I was only using Roman characters, so that was not the problem. However, I entered the error number as Jorgen suggested and it said that it was a problem for users of Word 6/ Word 95. I have Word 97, so I don\'t know why I am suffering from this problem.

The solution was to save the Word file as a RTF (rich text format). Now it seems to be fine, but I don\'t understand why I cannot clean normal .doc files with this version of Word.

Many thanks for your help!

Maria
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word issue? Jul 11, 2004

Hi Maria,
The solution was to save the Word file as a RTF (rich text format). Now it seems to be fine, but I don't understand why I cannot clean normal .doc files with this version of Word.

You can; in fact, I have been using Trados 5.x with Word 8 (Word 97) for several years before upgrading to T6.x and Word 10 (XP).

During the cleanup process, Trados converts the bilingual .doc file to RTF, runs the cleanup (and updates the TM if selected) and stores the cleaned file under its correct name.

An OLE/COM error usually occurs if this automated process encounters an error when saving as RTF, in which case trying to save as RTF may help. I can only guess as to the root cause of the problem: was the document perhaps created with a later version of Word (XP or 2003)?

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie help with Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »