Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2004

Windows XP. Word 2000. Trados V. 6.

I am not a long-tiem user of Trados. I have been working on a big project with highly repetitive texts that were written in Arial MT. My translation memory for this job is less than perfect (it's really my first major memory), as I am really only learning the importance of being a real stickler when it comes to using a TM.

(I posted a Q about converting text to Arial MT, but am unable to make this conversion, so have given up).
... See more
Windows XP. Word 2000. Trados V. 6.

I am not a long-tiem user of Trados. I have been working on a big project with highly repetitive texts that were written in Arial MT. My translation memory for this job is less than perfect (it's really my first major memory), as I am really only learning the importance of being a real stickler when it comes to using a TM.

(I posted a Q about converting text to Arial MT, but am unable to make this conversion, so have given up).

I now have a new set of texts and will be using the same memory.

How can I ensure that the FONT (= Arial MT, which I don't & can't have installed) is respected (when a lot of the memory is Arial only)?

TIA:-)

[Edited at 2004-07-11 23:28]

[Edited at 2004-07-11 23:28]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Make sure the styles are set accordingly Jul 12, 2004

Hi Ailish,
How can I ensure that the FONT (= Arial MT, which I don't & can't have installed) is respected (when a lot of the memory is Arial only)?

Normally, this shouldn't be an issue, as Trados uses the font defined in the style applicable to each paragraph. Obviously, as you don't have that font on your system, it's a bit difficult to check...

You may want to make sure that Translate into target default for all other fonts is unchecked in File - Setup - Fonts.

HTH, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados DOES change fonts Jul 17, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You may want to make sure that Translate into target default for all other fonts is unchecked in File - Setup - Fonts.

HTH, Ralf

I am in a new TM memory and it's doing it again........

Ralf: where do you mean for Translate into target default for all other fonts is unchecked in File - Setup - Fonts.

Do you mean in Word or in Trados?

Ailish

PS: Thanks for the abolutely excellent job you do as moderator for this forum:-)

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Workbench Jul 17, 2004

Hi Ailish,

That's a Workbench setting.

Have you checked if there's a discrepancy between the font prescribed by the style used in the paragraph, and any font that the document author may have set manually?

Many Word users are unaware of style-based formatting: for instance, if they want to change the default (usually Times New Roman 12pt), they highlight everything and change the font, as opposed to changing the settings of the Standard style.

Is the font installed on your system? If it isn't, Word will use a similar font as a proxy.

Best, Ralf

(Thanks for your words of appreciation!)

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't have the font I need Jul 17, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ailish,

That's a Workbench setting.

Have you checked if there's a discrepancy between the font prescribed by the style used in the paragraph, and any font that the document author may have set manually?

Many Word users are unaware of style-based formatting: for instance, if they want to change the default (usually Times New Roman 12pt), they highlight everything and change the font, as opposed to changing the settings of the Standard style.

Is the font installed on your system? If it isn't, Word will use a similar font as a proxy.

Best, Ralf

(Thanks for your words of appreciation!)

Hi Ralf

I checked the Fonts in Workbench but the ST font (Arial MT) isn't listed so I guess I cannot do anything about it.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Probably a Word issue rather than a Trados problem Jul 17, 2004

Hi again,
I checked the Fonts in Workbench

...check under Start - Settings whether the font is installed at all... although I remember from an earlier thread that Arial MT is not installed on your system.

but the ST font (Arial MT) isn't listed so I guess I cannot do anything about it.

Probably not - in fact, you may not have a problem at all: check the font settings in MS word for the target text: chances are "Arial MT" is still set, but cannot be properly displayed (as the font is missing on your system).

Working with fonts which are not installed on your system is always a problem.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ensuring Trados respects font

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »