Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 12, 2004

I have bought Trados 6.5 to replace 5.5
Can I instal Trados 6.5 while keeping 5.5

The reason is, I am familiar with 5.5 and can used for my daily work until I get used to Trados 6.5.

Is it possible or advisable to have both versions of the program on the same computer?

I'll appreciate any advice.

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Why keep both versions? Jul 12, 2004

The latest version 6.5 is designed to supersede the previous one.

Good Luck in updating your TRADOS version.

Sandra

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, it's possible Jul 12, 2004

I use the same configuration. In particular because import of glossaries from tables to MultiTerm formate simpler in version 5.5.

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
No interference? Jul 12, 2004

Just curious. How can they both function without interference in their respective smooth functioning?

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

I use the same configuration. In particular because import of glossaries from tables to MultiTerm formate simpler in version 5.5.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:23
English to German
+ ...
You can use them in parallel Jul 12, 2004

Hi Sami,
The reason is, I am familiar with 5.5 and can used for my daily work until I get used to Trados 6.5.

That won't be necessary, as the "look and feel" is the same.

Is it possible or advisable to have both versions of the program on the same computer?

It's definitely possible. What you need to make sure is that you register each version before using it. "Registering" means making certain settings in your computer's registry: in T6.5, there's an entry under Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Register Trados 6.5. In T5.5 you need to look in the TT directory of the Trados installation folder: there's a file ending "selfregister.bat" which you need to execute in order to prepare your system for T5.5.

A few additional comments:

Correct, but T5.5 will not be deinstalled automatically. You can deinstall it before installing T6.5, but you don't have to. In fact, if you wish to continue using MultiTerm 5.5, it's probably better to keep T5.5 installed.

You can use MultiTerm 5.5 with Workbench 6.5 - just change the Terminology Provider settings in Options - Term Recognition Options in Workbench.
Having said that, I find it much easier to convert Excel tables (for example) in MultiTerm iX - have you tried the MT Convert utility?

How can they both function without interference in their respective smooth functioning?

See above - registering each version will ensure there's no interference; you can never use them concurrently, though.

Best regards, Ralf

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Version upon client request Jul 12, 2004

CHENOUMI wrote:

Good Luck in updating your TRADOS version.

Sandra

I sometimes (seldomly) have a client requesting the use of a particular version of Trados, so that could be one reason for having both versions. But as you point out, there is no real reason for it, since the files are the same, and the TM can easily be converted to another version.

Jørgen

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Different defaults Jul 12, 2004

Hi there,

By pure chance I was reading about this issue last night in the Trados documentation. Apparently, they have different default directories, so that is why installing one doesn't necessarily overwrite the earlier version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 & 6.5 on one computer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »