Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:44
English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2004

Hi all,

I am new to the wonderful world of Trados. I installed a demo version of 6.5 at the weekend, but if I understand the tutorial right, I should also have installed Multi-term or I will not be able to create and manage TMs. Is that right? Or have I misunderstood some basic concept here?

I am NOT installing 6.5 on top of 5.5, but 5.5 is the only option I am given when attempting to set up the Terminology Recognition Options in "Options" on Workbench. (as per inst
... See more
Hi all,

I am new to the wonderful world of Trados. I installed a demo version of 6.5 at the weekend, but if I understand the tutorial right, I should also have installed Multi-term or I will not be able to create and manage TMs. Is that right? Or have I misunderstood some basic concept here?

I am NOT installing 6.5 on top of 5.5, but 5.5 is the only option I am given when attempting to set up the Terminology Recognition Options in "Options" on Workbench. (as per instructions on the tutorial).

When I attempt to "Browse" to "Termbase recognition location", I cannot seem to find any directory that has an appropriate file. So I don't know whether I can proceed to the next stage and just ignore this, or whether it simply won't work if I don't have the missing component.

Would appreciate any help you might offer,

Thanks,

Berni (Trados novice)
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but you need to deactivate term recognition Jul 12, 2004

Hi Berni,
Generally, Workbench and MultiTerm are two separate pieces of software. They are, of course, closely related and can connect to each other, but they aren't mutually dependent.

'Fraid so - MultiTerm is for terminology; TMs are managed in Workbench.

I am NOT installing 6.5 on top of 5.5, but 5.5 is the only option I am given when attempting to set up the Terminology Recognition Options in "Options" on Workbench. (as per instructions on the tutorial).

You cannot set up terminology recognition unless a version of MultiTerm is installed. If MultiTerm iX (MT 6.x) is missing, Workbench will look for MT5.5 as a default - hence the selection option.

When I attempt to "Browse" to "Termbase recognition location", I cannot seem to find any directory that has an appropriate file.

Have you installed any version of MultiTerm, and created a termbase?

So I don't know whether I can proceed to the next stage and just ignore this, or whether it simply won't work if I don't have the missing component.

You don't need MT to work with Workbench, but if you don't have it, you should deactivate term recognition. (If you fail to do it, Workbench will issue an error message, and will deactivate it automatically...)

HTH, Ralf

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still a bit confused Jul 12, 2004

Hi Ralf,

thanks for the thorough reply. But I still have some basic doubts.

Ralf Lemster asked:

No, I haven't. That didn't seem to be an option on the CD my friend lent me to try.

You don't need MT to work with Workbench, but if you don't have it, you should deactivate term recognition. (If you fail to do it, Workbench will issue an error message, and will deactivate it automatically...)

If I cannot create any TMs - exactly what can I do with the basic programme then? If I deactivate term recognition, doesn't that mean that I will not then be able to save to a TM and get Trados to recognise any phrases I have already typed?

I was about to test all this on the Demo - but now realize I may not be able to.

Thanks again for your help on this one.

Cheers,

Berni

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbase vs. translation memory. Jul 12, 2004

Hi again,

thanks for the thorough reply. But I still have some basic doubts.

What you need to distinguish are the two basic concepts of terminology / termbase vs. translation memory.

MultiTerm is used to handle terminology, i.e. single-word or multiple-word definitions of linguistic concepts.

In contrast, Workbench is used to handle sentences or parts thereof (referred to as translation units), building a translation memory as you go along.

Term recognition can enhance the process of working with translation memories, but strictly speaking, it's not essential for that purpose.

Ralf Lemster asked:

No, I haven't. That didn't seem to be an option on the CD my friend lent me to try.

Which wouldn't surprise me with a demo version; note that although Workbench is available for free download, MultiTerm is not.

If I cannot create any TMs - exactly what can I do with the basic programme then? If I deactivate term recognition, doesn't that mean that I will not then be able to save to a TM and get Trados to recognise any phrases I have already typed?

See above - I took the liberty of highlighting the conceptual contradiction; hope you don't mind.

I was about to test all this on the Demo - but now realize I may not be able to.

You most certainly should be able to test it, even though term recognition might not be available.

From a practical point of view, you can still search for terms using the Concordance function (which personally, I find the most useful); what's different about active term recognition is that terminology will be displayed alongside the translation unit(s).

Hope that's a bit clearer now. You may want to look at pages 1-6 to 1-14 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide (check the doc directory in the Trados Installation folder.

Best, Ralf

Elena Sgarbo (X)
Elena Sgarbo (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
MultiTerm Jul 15, 2004

Hi Bernie,

In case you wanted to get an idea of what MultiTerm (stand-alone) looks like, there's a tutorial available at www.translationzone.com.

See: http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=12 (go to the second item: MultiTerm - Term Workstation Tutor
... See more
Hi Bernie,

In case you wanted to get an idea of what MultiTerm (stand-alone) looks like, there's a tutorial available at www.translationzone.com.

See: http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=12 (go to the second item: MultiTerm - Term Workstation Tutorial).

¡Suerte!

Elena
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados 6.5 work without Multi-term?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »