C. Heljestrand
C. Heljestrand  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:56
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2004

Hey everybody!

I have translated a big document of 60,000 words. It´s a software manual and contains quite a few screenshots and screens shots of buttons. For example, To print this page please click on the [screen shot of button] button.

When I cleaned the document, TRADOS changed some buttons to huge empty windows. They same happened with the bullets in all the bulleted lists. They original, uncleaned document had 200 pages, the cleaned one 400 (due to the inserted,
... See more
Hey everybody!

I have translated a big document of 60,000 words. It´s a software manual and contains quite a few screenshots and screens shots of buttons. For example, To print this page please click on the [screen shot of button] button.

When I cleaned the document, TRADOS changed some buttons to huge empty windows. They same happened with the bullets in all the bulleted lists. They original, uncleaned document had 200 pages, the cleaned one 400 (due to the inserted, empty pictures/windows).

Does anyone know why this happens? Can you fix it?

Christer Aronsson
Mobile phone: (+34) 649 207 807
E-mail: [email protected]

MSN Messenger: [email protected]
ICQ-number: 21-006-301
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Cleanup Jul 16, 2004

It could be a problem with styles in the source document. You can try to clean the document using the tw4winClean.Main macro (make a backup first!).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This happens, because when you clean the document it is converted to RTF and then back Jul 16, 2004

Do, what Hynek suggests.

The graphics in your document are probably linked and not embedded, and because Workbench converts the whole document to rtf before cleaning a lot of damage is done.
Even using the cleanup macro from Word you´ll possibly get some trouble.
So here is what I would do, if I were in your shoes:
Store the original file with the original name. Store the translated file with an alternated name. Make all changes on your translation units interacti
... See more
Do, what Hynek suggests.

The graphics in your document are probably linked and not embedded, and because Workbench converts the whole document to rtf before cleaning a lot of damage is done.
Even using the cleanup macro from Word you´ll possibly get some trouble.
So here is what I would do, if I were in your shoes:
Store the original file with the original name. Store the translated file with an alternated name. Make all changes on your translation units interactive opening them and then closing them back again in usuall way, as when translating. After finishing this I would run the said macro (ALT+F8 and tw4clean.main). You will need to run in on each text box, header and footer too, as it does not clean them automatically.
Then I would open both documents in parallel Word windows and compare the page lauot, copying images from the source file when necessary.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

C. Heljestrand
Spain
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot!! Jul 17, 2004

Seville, 17th of July 2004

Dear Jerzy:

Thanks a lot for your help with the TRADOS problem!! I managed to fix it following your and Hynek´s instructions. You have saved me from an enormous amount of extra work!

I used the macro " tw4winClean.Main" to clean the text and the document came out nice and clean and in the same shape as the original one.

Again, millions of thanks!!!

Kind regards,

Christer Aronsson
Swe
... See more

Dear Jerzy:

Thanks a lot for your help with the TRADOS problem!! I managed to fix it following your and Hynek´s instructions. You have saved me from an enormous amount of extra work!

I used the macro " tw4winClean.Main" to clean the text and the document came out nice and clean and in the same shape as the original one.

Kind regards,

Christer Aronsson
Swedish Freelance Translator

All outgoing mail is protected by Norton AntiVirus 2004

Christer Aronsson
c./Albarizas, 39
E-41940 Tomares (Seville)
SPAIN

Collapse

C. Heljestrand
Spain
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jul 17, 2004

Dear Hynek:

Thanks a lot for your help with the TRADOS problem!! I managed to fix it following your and Jerzy´s instructions. You have saved me from an enormous amount of extra work!

Kind regards,

Christer Aronsson
Swe
... See more

Dear Hynek:

Thanks a lot for your help with the TRADOS problem!! I managed to fix it following your and Jerzy´s instructions. You have saved me from an enormous amount of extra work!

Kind regards,

Christer Aronsson
Swedish Freelance Translator

All outgoing mail is protected by Norton AntiVirus 2004

Christer Aronsson
c./Albarizas, 39
E-41940 Tomares (Seville)
SPAIN

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS changes bulleted lists and buttons

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »