Thread poster: Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:43
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2004

Hi everybody,

I urgently need your help! I was translating a big manual with Trados and all of a sudden I couldn't close the tag I was working on and this error appeared: (1443059576): invalid RTF format. I tried everything to close the tag, but I wasn't able to. Therefore I just closed the document without saving the last sentences I had translated. I opened it again and wanted to start where I last had saved my changes, but the same problem occured with the first tag I opened. I
... See more
Hi everybody,

I urgently need your help! I was translating a big manual with Trados and all of a sudden I couldn't close the tag I was working on and this error appeared: (1443059576): invalid RTF format. I tried everything to close the tag, but I wasn't able to. Therefore I just closed the document without saving the last sentences I had translated. I opened it again and wanted to start where I last had saved my changes, but the same problem occured with the first tag I opened. I have already tried to use http://support.trados.com/search.asp indicating the error number, but the result was "unfortunately no article found".

What happened? How can I save my document without doing the whole work again?

Thank you in advance to everybody!

Claudia Mattaliano
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Re-create the TM Jul 18, 2004

Hi Claudia,
There could be several causes for this problem; unfortunately, you did not specify which versions you use (Word, Workbench, MultiTerm if applicable) - please quote the full version numbers for Trados products.

One thing you can try is to export your TM, create a new TM and re-import it, reorganising the new TM in this process.

HTH, Ralf

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:43
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Fix document Jul 18, 2004

Hi,
have you tried fix document?

Good luck,
Natália

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much... Jul 18, 2004

...for your incredibly quick help! In the meantime, I just closed the workbench and restart the pc and now everything seems to be working properly..! In any case, I am still interested in knowing why this happened, so here are the answers to your questions Ralf:

Word: 2000
Workbench: 5.5 Freelance
No MultiTerm running on this project

Thanks again!
Claudia Mattaliano

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I would still re-create the TM - at least reorganise Jul 18, 2004

Hi again,
In the meantime, I just closed the workbench and restart the pc and now everything seems to be working properly..!

At the very least, I would reorganise the TM.

In any case, I am still interested in knowing why this happened, so here are the answers to your questions Ralf:

Word: 2000
Workbench: 5.5 Freelance

Sorry, but this isn't the full version... Please check under Help - About... to identify the full version number, including the build number.

The reason why I ask is that you might be using an outdated version for which an upgrade may have been published.

Best, Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The <b>full</b> version number is... Jul 18, 2004

...5.5.0.247 (build 247). Is this what you wanted to know Ralf?

HTH
Claudia

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:43
German to English
+ ...
Experience with message "invalid RTF format" Jul 18, 2004

Hi!

I hope you were able to fix the problem. I wanted to add a general comment to this discussion: I occasionally encounter this message in working with Trados Freelance 6.5, with a variety of different TMs, which seems to indicate that the error is not caused by a faulty TM. Rather, the problem tends to occur with larger files or files containing complex formating. I am no computer engineer, but my theory is that the message may be associated with a temporary memorage storage that
... See more
Hi!

I hope you were able to fix the problem. I wanted to add a general comment to this discussion: I occasionally encounter this message in working with Trados Freelance 6.5, with a variety of different TMs, which seems to indicate that the error is not caused by a faulty TM. Rather, the problem tends to occur with larger files or files containing complex formating. I am no computer engineer, but my theory is that the message may be associated with a temporary memorage storage that simply becomes too full. I am working with a new PC that otherwise has no memory problems whatsoever.

My "fix" (if you can call it that): Close the document and Trados for about 15 minutes. If you are under too much pressure to take that much time off, copy a portion of the document into a new file and translate with Trados in that smaller file. Once the original (larger) document has made a recovery (and it will in 99% of cases), you can simply choose "translate to fuzzy" and enter your translations quickly.

Dorothee
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
15 minutes Jul 18, 2004

Dorothee Racette wrote:
My "fix" (if you can call it that): Close the document and Trados for about 15 minutes.

If this helps, then I think restarting your computer should help as well, and it's much faster.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That was exactly what I was looking for Jul 18, 2004

Thanks, Claudia,
...5.5.0.247 (build 247). Is this what you wanted to know

Precisely. IIRC this was the latest version of T5.5, so this shouldn't be a problem. Sorry for insisting, but some problems are related to using an earlier version - hence the question.

Best, Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 19, 2004

to everybody for you precious help!!

Claudia

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Invalid RTF Format Jul 19, 2004

Hi,

this problem often occurs, if the document was saved on different WinWord Versions (2000, XP, 2003) and if the document conatains some problematic elements. The problem are the different RTF specifications from WinWord.

Sometimes it helps, if you save the Word file as rtf file and then close the document, reopen it, make a little change (insert space, delete space) and save it as WinWord file again.

Make sure, that there no functions like change trackin
... See more
Hi,

this problem often occurs, if the document was saved on different WinWord Versions (2000, XP, 2003) and if the document conatains some problematic elements. The problem are the different RTF specifications from WinWord.

Sometimes it helps, if you save the Word file as rtf file and then close the document, reopen it, make a little change (insert space, delete space) and save it as WinWord file again.

Make sure, that there no functions like change tracking or "save Recovery information" are active.

Regards

Hans
Collapse

Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
English to German
Look at previous postings Jul 29, 2004

Hi Claudia,

I had this problem before and postet the same query in the forum. I attached the link, as I got some really good tips, that might work for you too.

http://www.proz.com/post/129369#129369

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invalid RTF format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »