Importing glossaries to Multiterm 5.5 and iX
Thread poster: Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Local time: 10:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2004

Hello everybody. I've been trying to discern the way to import my glossaries into a Multiterm. The thing is, I can't seem to do it.

I tried the xls files in both excel and delimited format, Word documents, but there was no use.

My Multiterm Versions are:

Trados MultiTerm 5.5.2.257
Trados MultiTerm iX (6.04.209)
Translator's Workbench 6.5.1.406

Any leads?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:17
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade Jul 19, 2004

Hi Nicolás,
First of all, thanks for quoting your version numbers!

You're using outdated versions of both Workbench and MultiTerm:

My Multiterm Versions are:

Trados MultiTerm 5.5.2.257
Trados MultiTerm iX (6.04.209)
Translator's Workbench 6.5.1.406

The latest Workbench version is 6.5.2.417. The various patches corrected a number of bugs and improved performance.

A full overhaul of the first version of MTiX was introduced with the Summer 2003 Release (6.2.0.267), subsequently upgraded to 6.2.0.279.

See the Download section on TranslationZone for details; contact the Trados office where you bought your license for a password to download MTiX upgrades.

MTiX 6.2x comprises MultiTerm Convert, a utility that lets you convert Excel-based glossaries to MTiX-proprietary XML format.

HTH, Ralf

Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Local time: 10:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Jul 20, 2004

I suppose I used the wrong backup copy when I restored my system. I'll get the new versions as soon as I can (call me superstitious, but I consider it unlucky to upgrade in the middle of a translation job).

I was unaware of the special feature. I don't usually work with Trados, but I'm trying to give it a chance again.

Also, I'd like to thank Tadzio, who e-mailed me the formula to adapt excel files to create multiterm files. I'll write it here, in case anyone else is wo
... See more
I suppose I used the wrong backup copy when I restored my system. I'll get the new versions as soon as I can (call me superstitious, but I consider it unlucky to upgrade in the middle of a translation job).

I was unaware of the special feature. I don't usually work with Trados, but I'm trying to give it a chance again.

Also, I'd like to thank Tadzio, who e-mailed me the formula to adapt excel files to create multiterm files. I'll write it here, in case anyone else is wondering or looking for the same thing. I found out later that this same instruction is posted in some sites, but maybe I can help the occasional curious translator that drops by.

First, prepare Excel by opening a new file.
In Word open the document containing the table.
Click into the table.
From the Table menu select Select Table. The whole table
will be highlighted.
From the Edit menu select Copy.
In the new Excel file that was created, place the cursor in
the first cell. Select Paste from the Edit menu.
The file can be closed in Word, however, you may want to
keep it open as you will need it later.
This file can be saved with the .xls extension for now.

Excel Conversion
Open the file you want to convert into MultiTerm format in Excel.
Highlight the first column, from the Insert menu select
Insert Column.
Type two asterisks (**) into the first cell.
Copy this cell to the whole column by dragging the cell
with the two asterisks (**) down the column.
For each field, highlight the column and select Insert
Column from the Insert menu. A new column will be inserted directly in front of the highlighted one.
Insert the appropriate field name ( for example)
into the top cell of each new column. The field name should always be surrounded by angled brackets and written exactly as it appears in your MultiTerm database.
For each field name, copy the cell to the whole column as
in #4.
Save the file as tab delimited text (.txt). There will be a message alerting you that only the active sheet will be saved, click OK, and another message that formatting may change, click Yes.
Close the file in Excel. You may be prompted to save the changes again, click No. Finally, format the Text file for MultiTerm Import by deleting all blank spaces: copy the blank space between ** and the first < and replace all with nothing. And, voilá!!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:17
English to German
+ ...
Excel to MT5.x Jul 20, 2004

Hi again,
You may want to note that this procedure (which is also described on the Trados KB) only works for importing into MT5.x, not for MTiX.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing glossaries to Multiterm 5.5 and iX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »