Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translating Quark files (Mod: Problems reimporting into Quark)
Thread poster: Mariana Gomez
Martin11
Martin11
English
CopyFlow on Mac - 300 files export/import Oct 25, 2004

Hello Stefan,

You seem to be pretty familiar with Quark, CopyFlow and stuff...

Have you got any suggestion how to export/import 300 files with Copyflow in one go on Mac?

I don't want to go to PC-Story Collector due to font problems.

Thanks,
Martin

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Hi Yannago,

well, so my hunch was right If the files are Mac Quark files, you should not export/import them on a PC. Quark files really don't like this. Actually you have a good chance to destroy the quark files and the person who will have to deal with the files on a Mac later will face fierce crashes. (Major problem are the graphic previews in the Quark files that have to be converted by PC Quark and converted back later by Mac Quark. Especially when you are missing the referenced graphics this will very often result in a desaster on the mac later.)

As a general recommendation: Use TRADOS StoryCollector ONLY for PC Quark Files. (Doesn't matter what TRADOS or Quark will tell you about inter-platform sharing capabilities of Quark files. Forget it - it's only marketing drivel. There are simply too many factors that result in an "unsharing compatibilty" like differences in file name handling, quark picture preview, fonts, character encoding, CodePage issues etc. pp..).
If you get Mac QuarkXPress files you should leave them where they are: On a Mac. Better do not let them see any PC at all Due to the Mac Ressource Fork you should not even transfer them with a PC through FTP or E-Mail unless you transport them in a "secure container" - i.e. they should be compressed on a Mac with Alladin StuffIt into a SIT file (so to say the Mac pendant to WinZip).
Here at TRACOM we are using CopyFlow Gold for export and import. We can create TRADOS RTFs and TTX from the export TAGs that you can translate with Word or TagEditor. TE will even recognise that the TAGs have MacEncoding and will handle character encoding accordingly so that you will not run into any special character encoding issues. We even have workarounds for transfering translated Russian, Greek and CE/Baltic RTFs/TTX back to Mac QuarkXPress without character problems.

If you don't have Mac Quark and CopyFlow and have not solved this problem meanwhile, I would like to offer the following: Just send me the Quark File, we do a new Export here and send you an RTF or TTX (I'd prefer TTX). As you have already translated the file you can retranslate them with your TM and send me the translated files back. We will then import them back into the Mac Quark File on the Mac and send the Quark file back to you. Don't be afraid of tagging issues. Both CopyFlow and StoryCollector rely on the Tag Filters shipped with Quark, so there are no differences in internal tags.

Best,
*Stefan.

sem6819 (X)
sem6819 (X)
English to French
+ ...
RE: CopyFlow is the answer Oct 27, 2004

Hello world

we normally use CopyFlow for Mac files, then converting the tag files to RTF via ITP Filter Pack.

I'd like to know if this is still valid under CopyFlow Gold, or TagEditor becomes mandatory.
In that case, which TagEditor INIfile should be set?

TIA

rgds:sem

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
Local time: 12:13
English to German
+ ...
Batch Export with CopyFlow Nov 8, 2004

Martin11 wrote:
Have you got any suggestion how to export/import 300 files with Copyflow in one go on Mac?

Hello Martin,

sorry for my late reply, but I had no chance to check this forum the last days due to heavy workload. Afaik, CopyFlow has a batch function. But actually my colleague Simon Darchinger is much more of an expert with Mac/Quark/CopyFlow. If you still have the need for this job, you may contact him directly. His eMail is simon /dot/ darchinger /at/ tracom /dot/ de. Please replace dot and at accordingly

Nevertheless I suggest to not batch export 300 files. It's usually much better to open each file separately and check for the common issues (missing fonts, check for hard/shift returns resulting in bad segmentation, check for source dtp errors etc) before exporting them.

Best,
*Stefan.

Martin11
Martin11
English
Thanks Stefan. Nov 23, 2004

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Martin11 wrote:

Hello Martin,

sorry for my late reply, but I had no chance to check this forum the last days due to heavy workload. Afaik, CopyFlow has a batch function. But actually my colleague Simon Darchinger is much more of an expert with Mac/Quark/CopyFlow. If you still have the need for this job, you may contact him directly. His eMail is simon /dot/ darchinger /at/ tracom /dot/ de. Please replace dot and at accordingly

Nevertheless I suggest to not batch export 300 files. It's usually much better to open each file separately and check for the common issues (missing fonts, check for hard/shift returns resulting in bad segmentation, check for source dtp errors etc) before exporting them.

Best,
*Stefan.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Quark files (Mod: Problems reimporting into Quark)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »