Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translating Quark files (Mod: Problems reimporting into Quark)
Thread poster: Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
Local time: 11:34
English to Spanish
Jul 22, 2004

I am working with Quark files, I already translated the document using Tag-editor. The thing is, I cannot import the translated file back to Quark.

I read the tutorial and hasn´t helped me at all. Can someone please help me?

Regards,
Yanna

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:34
English to German
+ ...
Please be more specific Jul 23, 2004

Hi Yannago,

Can you please describe in more detail where Story Collector has a problem, and what error message you get?

Which versions of Quark and TagEditor are you using?

Best regards, Ralf

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Quark reimport Jul 23, 2004

Did you clean the file(s) before you reimported them? I know I've done that a couple of times.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tag verification Jul 23, 2004

Hello,

make sure, that you have run the tag verification in TagEditor.

Try to search for the chars \< and \>.
In InDesign TTX files i found, that you need to insert a backslash before these chars.

Hans

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Jul 23, 2004

Thank you all for your quick reply.

I´m using Trados Tag Editor 6.5. I had never worked with quark files (I´m using Quarkxpress 5.0) . I already checked for tags using the general tag verification which is somewhere in "options" in Tag Editor. I used to translate this kind of files (frame maker and page maker) with Workspace(Trados 5.5) which had a separate option for "Tag Verification" now I can´t make this work. I cleaned up the files and it still won´t work. There´s no error
... See more
Thank you all for your quick reply.

I´m using Trados Tag Editor 6.5. I had never worked with quark files (I´m using Quarkxpress 5.0) . I already checked for tags using the general tag verification which is somewhere in "options" in Tag Editor. I used to translate this kind of files (frame maker and page maker) with Workspace(Trados 5.5) which had a separate option for "Tag Verification" now I can´t make this work. I cleaned up the files and it still won´t work. There´s no error message in the process, it just hangs in the middle of the re-importing part.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try re-running the files Jul 23, 2004

Hi again,
I once had the same problem - turned out that I accidentally damaged a story in the TTX file. I re-ran the entire process (export / translate / import), which wasn't too much of a problem, as everything was in the TM.

Best regards, Ralf

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Did you save your Quark file? Jul 23, 2004

Yannago wrote:

I used to translate this kind of files (frame maker and page maker) with Workspace(Trados 5.5) which had a separate option for "Tag Verification" now I can´t make this work. I cleaned up the files and it still won´t work. There´s no error message in the process, it just hangs in the middle of the re-importing part.

Unless you save your Quark file AFTER extracting the text, you will certainly have problems to reinsert the text.

HIH

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Still won´t work Jul 23, 2004

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies.

Here´s what i´ve done so far.

1) I made a copy of the original files in a folder called source and target.

2) I opened the Quark files and exported the stories with Trados 6.5 Story Collector for QuarkXpress 5.0 (this part was succesfully accomplished)

3) I translated the file with Tag Editor 6.5. What I´m not sure about is how to verify the tags. What I did was to verify them while I was translatin
... See more
Hi everyone, thank you for your replies.

Here´s what i´ve done so far.

1) I made a copy of the original files in a folder called source and target.

2) I opened the Quark files and exported the stories with Trados 6.5 Story Collector for QuarkXpress 5.0 (this part was succesfully accomplished)

3) I translated the file with Tag Editor 6.5. What I´m not sure about is how to verify the tags. What I did was to verify them while I was translating.

4) I saved the bilingual Tag Editor file in my target subfolder and then cleaned it up. This created a qsc copy of my file which I TRIED to import to my original QuarkXpress file (THIS PART WON'T WORK AT ALL).

When importing the file, the process still hangs right in the middle and crashes QuarkXpress. I don´t know what else to do.

I´m hopeless.

Thank you for your advice...

Yana.
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Check for the following possible problems: Jul 26, 2004

Hi Yana,

check the following:
* are you missing any fonts when opening the source language quark file? SC often crashes during import if quark was/is missing fonts.
* are the source language quark files Mac QuarkXPress files?
If yes, you simply should NOT use TRADOS Story Collector as it doesn\'t work very well with Mac Quark files.
* was the source language Quark files \"saved down\" from Quark 6 to Quark 5 file format? If yes, this results very often in SC
... See more
Hi Yana,

check the following:
* are you missing any fonts when opening the source language quark file? SC often crashes during import if quark was/is missing fonts.
If yes, you simply should NOT use TRADOS Story Collector as it doesn\'t work very well with Mac Quark files.
* was the source language Quark files \"saved down\" from Quark 6 to Quark 5 file format? If yes, this results very often in SC crashes.
* Does the Quark file contain any tables? If yes, you might consider them as a problem as SC always struggles with tables.

Also, try to view the import process. Can you see the page, where SC crashes? Try to isolate the box, where SC hangs. Search in the qsc for some text of this box and isolate the box into a new, separate qsc (qsc is finally simple plain text so you can use Windows editor for this job). Delete all the SC tags, rename as .TAG and try to import this single box manually (> File > Place).
Collapse

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stefan... Jul 26, 2004

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Hi Yana,

check the following:
If yes, you simply should NOT use TRADOS Story Collector as it doesn't work very well with Mac Quark files.
* was the source language Quark files "saved down" from Quark 6 to Quark 5 file format? If yes, this results very often in SC crashes.
* Does the Quark file contain any tables? If yes, you might consider them as a problem as SC always struggles with tables.

Also, try to view the import process. Can you see the page, where SC crashes? Try to isolate the box, where SC hangs. Search in the qsc for some text of this box and isolate the box into a new, separate qsc (qsc is finally simple plain text so you can use Windows editor for this job). Delete all the SC tags, rename as .TAG and try to import this single box manually (> File > Place).

Thanx for your reply.

I am using mac files with Story Collector and I don't have the original font files for PC though I do have them for Mac. Do you by any chance, know of any workaround or additional tool that might help me solve the incompatibility problem?

Thank you and regards

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Check the original file Jul 26, 2004

Hello,

maybe it will help, if you try to import the source qsc file.

If this will crash, you must find the problem in the quark file.
If this will work, you must find the problem in the target qsc file.

With kind regards

Hans

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
CopyFlow is the answer Jul 29, 2004

Hi Yannago,

well, so my hunch was right If the files are Mac Quark files, you should not export/import them on a PC. Quark files really don't like this. Actually you have a good chance to destroy the quark files and the person who will have to deal with the files on a Mac later will face fierce crashes. (Major problem are the graphic previews in the Quark files that have to be converted by PC Quark and converted back l
... See more
Hi Yannago,

well, so my hunch was right If the files are Mac Quark files, you should not export/import them on a PC. Quark files really don't like this. Actually you have a good chance to destroy the quark files and the person who will have to deal with the files on a Mac later will face fierce crashes. (Major problem are the graphic previews in the Quark files that have to be converted by PC Quark and converted back later by Mac Quark. Especially when you are missing the referenced graphics this will very often result in a desaster on the mac later.)

As a general recommendation: Use TRADOS StoryCollector ONLY for PC Quark Files. (Doesn't matter what TRADOS or Quark will tell you about inter-platform sharing capabilities of Quark files. Forget it - it's only marketing drivel. There are simply too many factors that result in an "unsharing compatibilty" like differences in file name handling, quark picture preview, fonts, character encoding, CodePage issues etc. pp..).
If you get Mac QuarkXPress files you should leave them where they are: On a Mac. Better do not let them see any PC at all Due to the Mac Ressource Fork you should not even transfer them with a PC through FTP or E-Mail unless you transport them in a "secure container" - i.e. they should be compressed on a Mac with Alladin StuffIt into a SIT file (so to say the Mac pendant to WinZip).
Here at TRACOM we are using CopyFlow Gold for export and import. We can create TRADOS RTFs and TTX from the export TAGs that you can translate with Word or TagEditor. TE will even recognise that the TAGs have MacEncoding and will handle character encoding accordingly so that you will not run into any special character encoding issues. We even have workarounds for transfering translated Russian, Greek and CE/Baltic RTFs/TTX back to Mac QuarkXPress without character problems.

If you don't have Mac Quark and CopyFlow and have not solved this problem meanwhile, I would like to offer the following: Just send me the Quark File, we do a new Export here and send you an RTF or TTX (I'd prefer TTX). As you have already translated the file you can retranslate them with your TM and send me the translated files back. We will then import them back into the Mac Quark File on the Mac and send the Quark file back to you. Don't be afraid of tagging issues. Both CopyFlow and StoryCollector rely on the Tag Filters shipped with Quark, so there are no differences in internal tags.

Best,
*Stefan.
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Some more notes on Quark and StoryCollector ... Jul 29, 2004

... a few more general notes on StoryCollector and *PC* quark files (and I'm talking about PC, not Mac QuarkXPress files here!):
If you are running into import problems after translation please note that ...
* StoryCollector works (well, more or less) with QuarkXPress Passport but has problems with th US Quark version. If you export files that have any Non-US-English dictinoaries defined in Paragraph Styles you will get problmes with the US Version (that only supports US/UK English!)
... See more
... a few more general notes on StoryCollector and *PC* quark files (and I'm talking about PC, not Mac QuarkXPress files here!):
* StoryCollector works (well, more or less) with QuarkXPress Passport but has problems with th US Quark version. If you export files that have any Non-US-English dictinoaries defined in Paragraph Styles you will get problmes with the US Version (that only supports US/UK English!) and SC.
* StoryCollector has several problems with Memory Management - if your files are big and have quite a lot of text boxes you will run into problems.
* Make sure you have enough Megabyte left on you temp drive and on the drive where the Quark and QSC are located,
* I cannot repeat it often enough: Make sure you have all fonts installed. You may destroy complete style sets if you are missing the fonts during import (if you're missing them during export it's not that problematic - but if it comes to export better make sure you have all fonts installed!)
* If you have Quark Files version >5, check if the files actually use any features of these versions like e.g. tables.
If not, don't do the export/import with Quark >5. Better save the file down to Quark 4x and do the export/import with QuarkXPress Passprt 4x. SC has still problems with the Tag Filters shipped with Quark >5.

Best,
*Stefan.
Collapse

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 30, 2004

Stefan Gentz wrote:

... a few more general notes on StoryCollector and *PC* quark files (and I\'m talking about PC, not Mac QuarkXPress files here!):
* StoryCollector works (well, more or less) with QuarkXPress Passport but has problems with th US Quark version. If you export files that have any Non-US-English dictinoaries defined in Paragraph Styles you will get problmes with the US Version (that only supports US/UK English!) and SC.
* StoryCollector has several problems with Memory Management - if your files are big and have quite a lot of text boxes you will run into problems.
* Make sure you have enough Megabyte left on you temp drive and on the drive where the Quark and QSC are located,
* I cannot repeat it often enough: Make sure you have all fonts installed. You may destroy complete style sets if you are missing the fonts during import (if you\'re missing them during export it\'s not that problematic - but if it comes to export better make sure you have all fonts installed!)
* If you have Quark Files version >5, check if the files actually use any features of these versions like e.g. tables.
If not, don\'t do the export/import with Quark >5. Better save the file down to Quark 4x and do the export/import with QuarkXPress Passprt 4x. SC has still problems with the Tag Filters shipped with Quark >5.

Best,
*Stefan.

Thank you very much Stefan! I really appreciate the time and effort which you have invested in helping me. Your advice has been most instructive and useful. It´s great to see the milk of human kindness flowing in such abundance

I also very much appreciate your offer and have found the services offered by your company very interesting. I will try some of the things you suggest and later on, would like to get back in touch with you to find out more about the services your company offers.

Once again thank you very much!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Quark files (Mod: Problems reimporting into Quark)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »