Importing Excel 2003 to Trados MTiX 6.2.0.279
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 10:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2004

I am new to MTiX, and am confused about importing terminology databases from Excel.

I have read the MTiX manual, checked the Knowledge Base and Proz, and it seems that the assumption is that this should be a self-evident process because you use MultiTerm Convert. Well, it's not for me.

Perhaps the main thing I'm confused about is how to prepare my Excel file; with earlier versions of MultiTerm one had to prepare the terminology in an importable format:

**<
... See more
I am new to MTiX, and am confused about importing terminology databases from Excel.

I have read the MTiX manual, checked the Knowledge Base and Proz, and it seems that the assumption is that this should be a self-evident process because you use MultiTerm Convert. Well, it's not for me.

Perhaps the main thing I'm confused about is how to prepare my Excel file; with earlier versions of MultiTerm one had to prepare the terminology in an importable format:

TERM
TERM

But there is no mention of the need to do so in MTiX. I haven't, and would prefer not to if I could avoid it -- while merely a bilingual glossary provided by my client with nothing but two columns of terms, the file is of significant length.

I have had so many different errors I don't know where to start, but the long and short of it seems to be that even if I successfully create the XML file and the TermBase, I cannot import: I keep getting the "0 terms processed" message that threatens to rob me of my sanity.

Could somebody be so kind as to assume I know absolutely nothing about MultiTerm and how to prepare Excel files, and take me through the process step by step?

Thanks
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
German to Croatian
+ ...
There are several threads where this topic has been discussed Jul 29, 2004

http://www.proz.com/post/151711#151711
http://www.proz.com/post/154255#154255
http://www.proz.com/post/148361#148361

Perhaps you can check if any of the described procedures wor
... See more
http://www.proz.com/post/151711#151711
http://www.proz.com/post/154255#154255
http://www.proz.com/post/148361#148361

Perhaps you can check if any of the described procedures works for you.

You can also type "multiterm" in the search box on the left side of the page or browse through older threads in the Trados Support forum.

BR,
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:58
English to German
+ ...
.xdt and .xml Jul 29, 2004

Hi Hopson,

TERM
TERM

But there is no mention of the need to do so in MTiX. I haven't, and would prefer not to if I could avoid it -- while merely a bilingual glossary provided by my client with nothing but two columns of terms, the file is of significant length.

You don't - but you need to make sure the columns have the appropriate titles.

A few questions:
- I don't work with Japanese files, but there appears to be a special version for Japanese. I take it that you're using it?
- In the converion process, you need to define the field type - did you classify 'Japanese' and 'English' as index fields?
- Did you use the .xdt file created during the conversion to setup your termbase?
- Are you trying to import the data into an existing termbase, or into a new one?

Best regards, Ralf

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response to Ralf's questions Jul 30, 2004

Thanks to both of you for the help. I have still had no luck.

First, I would like to answer Ralf's questions:

- I don't work with Japanese files, but there appears to be a special version for Japanese. I take it that you're using it?

No. Is it not sufficient to choose Japanese as a language in your install?

- In the converion process, you need to define the field type - did you classify 'Japanese' and 'English' as index fields?

T
... See more
Thanks to both of you for the help. I have still had no luck.

First, I would like to answer Ralf's questions:

No. Is it not sufficient to choose Japanese as a language in your install?

This is a little hard to answer. I have changed the format of my glossary many times in attempts to export it to MTiX. At one point those options were open to me when I used the .xdt file (which I always use, in answer to the following query), and I used them -- unsuccessfully.

- Did you use the .xdt file created during the conversion to setup your termbase?

Always.

- Are you trying to import the data into an existing termbase, or into a new one?

New.

So, I just checked my .log file a little more carefully and it tells me:

"Fatal Error at (file , line 0, column 0): An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=D:\?!?@CELC\0408 ?O?H?@?B?W?|?i Woodworking Expo\03 Reference\0408 WoodworkingExpoGlossary.xml"

and that no entries were processed. This has not always been the case, but seems to have resulted from my perhaps poor decision (made before reading Ralf's post) to make this glossary into the format suggested in all of the forums:

TERM
TERM

So now I'm going to revert to my previous format:

TERM TERM

and cry quietly.

Any other suggestions?
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Ralf's questions and follow up Jul 30, 2004

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Sadly, I am still stuck.

My problem has changed, though, so allow me to explain it before I answer Ralf's (very helpful and pertinent) questions.

I successfully exported the .xls glossary to .xml format, and was feeling pretty good about myself. Then, I opened MTiX and created a new database with the .xdt (Load an existing termbase definition file). I named my termbase, used the pre-defined index fields (EN-US, J
... See more
Thanks to both of you for your help.

Sadly, I am still stuck.

My problem has changed, though, so allow me to explain it before I answer Ralf's (very helpful and pertinent) questions.

I successfully exported the .xls glossary to .xml format, and was feeling pretty good about myself. Then, I opened MTiX and created a new database with the .xdt (Load an existing termbase definition file). I named my termbase, used the pre-defined index fields (EN-US, JA) and did not add anything new. For the time being I decided not to add any descriptive fields, though I really would prefer to do so once I get through my current set of troubles.
And then the whole world fell apart -- MT tells me "You do not have access to this termbase. Contact your MultiTerm administrator if you need to change your used rights." The same happens if I simply try to open the termbase from the MT menu. Well, it was my understanding that this should never be an issue on a local termbase, and I couldn't see how user rights might possibly be a problem even I am mistaken.

Well, that's my current situation, but I'd like to answer Ralf's questions.

No. Does this mean it's not enough to choose Japanese as a language during your installation?

Yes.

Yes.

New.

Thank you again.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Excel 2003 to Trados MTiX 6.2.0.279

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »