Giant(?) Multiterm Databases: Are they feasible?
Thread poster: Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 03:24
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2004

I'm thinking about migrating most of my printed dictionaries/glossaries in to multiterm format. When done each termbase will contain between 5000 - 15000 terms.

Are such large termbases practical? I'm afraid workign with such large termbases may slow down translation process (lag between closing/opening segments)?

Does anyone have any experience with working with/using termbases of such size? Also, can anyone tell me what would the actual size (in Mb or Gb) of a termbas
... See more
I'm thinking about migrating most of my printed dictionaries/glossaries in to multiterm format. When done each termbase will contain between 5000 - 15000 terms.

Are such large termbases practical? I'm afraid workign with such large termbases may slow down translation process (lag between closing/opening segments)?

Does anyone have any experience with working with/using termbases of such size? Also, can anyone tell me what would the actual size (in Mb or Gb) of a termbase with say 1000 terms?

Thanks & Regards,
Hal
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:24
English to German
+ ...
They are feasable Aug 8, 2004

I transformed all of the MS glossaries into one Multiterm database, using a blindingly fast Perl program for the conversion and MS Access to refine it (the source contains a lot of garbage).

This MultiTerm database contains 217058 entries, has 148 MB (zipped: 14 MB) and does not really slow down the translation, because the search in the TM works independently of the MultiTerm search, which takes just one or two seconds longer than the search in the TM.

I hate to admit
... See more
I transformed all of the MS glossaries into one Multiterm database, using a blindingly fast Perl program for the conversion and MS Access to refine it (the source contains a lot of garbage).

This MultiTerm database contains 217058 entries, has 148 MB (zipped: 14 MB) and does not really slow down the translation, because the search in the TM works independently of the MultiTerm search, which takes just one or two seconds longer than the search in the TM.

I hate to admit that this is much faster than the Déjà Vu search in the same transformed MS glossary, which takes too long to let Déjà Vu insert the terms into the translation, but it is still fast enough if you disable the automatic insertion and use it like MultiTerm. This way it takes 3-6 seconds which gives you a good chance that you can see the hits before you will have finished the segment...

Maybe it would work faster if I would transform it into a Déjà Vu Lexicon instead of a Terminology Database. I did not test this yet, because I think I would have to refine the database much more before it would be suitable for a Lexicon.

Good speed,
Harry

[Edited at 2004-08-08 23:51]
Collapse

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
No problems Aug 9, 2004

I have some termbases with 130,000 terms. Volume - 60-70 MB. No slowdown, no any failures.
Broadly speaking 5000-15000 term - this is usial size of dictionary, you can't to observe search in a such termbase.

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all replies Aug 11, 2004

Thank you for your replies and comments. I'm much relieved that termbases with 5 - 15 thousand entries will not cause delay.

Regards,
Haluk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giant(?) Multiterm Databases: Are they feasible?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »