Translator's workbench and Arabic
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
English to Arabic
Aug 8, 2004

I have just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance, and when I tried using Translator's Workbench with a Word file to translate a text from English into Arabic, things irst appear fine, then when I click Next on the Trados Toolbar the previous Arabic text turns into unreadable characters. What is the problem here? knowing that I use Word 2003, and I used the Demo version of Trados before getting the license and everything was alright.

I appreciate your help very much

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you checked the language settings of the file you are translating? Aug 8, 2004

Did you adapt the styles to the target language?
If no, do not wonder - Trados tries to restore the settings as in the template.
The problem with corrupted characters, templates and Word has been dealt with here on ProZ in numerous cases.
Please use the search functin to find the appropriate threads.

You can also look at the Trados support database on the Internet: <
... See more
Did you adapt the styles to the target language?
If no, do not wonder - Trados tries to restore the settings as in the template.
The problem with corrupted characters, templates and Word has been dealt with here on ProZ in numerous cases.
Please use the search functin to find the appropriate threads.

You can also look at the Trados support database on the Internet: http://support.trados.com - possibly you´ll find some solutions there.

But the first thing one should do, if requested to tranlate a Word document, is to adapt at least the languages in the styles. Otherwise the whole translation process will not work properly with all languages, using special characters.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:01
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Font Setup Aug 9, 2004

Hi,

Try this:

Trados Workbench : FILE>SETUP>FONTS

Set your pair of fonts and make sure the target font is inline with the job you are doing. e.g. If you are processing an EN>AR job, you could use Arabic Transparent as target and make sure you click the box at the bottom that makes this default for that job.

The other issue is that you only see the unclear marjs in the segments? perform a concordance search for something in one of your TM's, how
... See more
Hi,

Try this:

Trados Workbench : FILE>SETUP>FONTS

Set your pair of fonts and make sure the target font is inline with the job you are doing. e.g. If you are processing an EN>AR job, you could use Arabic Transparent as target and make sure you click the box at the bottom that makes this default for that job.

The other issue is that you only see the unclear marjs in the segments? perform a concordance search for something in one of your TM's, how does the output look?

Best,
Rahi
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's workbench and Arabic

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »