Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2004

With Windows XP.
Will Trados work OK if I have MetaTexis, Lingvo (dictionary), MultiLex (dictionary) installed?

Thank you.

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Aug 9, 2004

Trados (2 versions, 5.5 and 6.5), Lingvo, MultiLex, Multitran, Star Transit, Helium - excellen coexists together.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 9, 2004

Thank you, Victor. Clear and up to the point.

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

Trados (2 versions, 5.5 and 6.5), Lingvo, MultiLex, Multitran, Star Transit, Helium - excellen coexists together.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would not run Trados AND Wordfast together Aug 9, 2004

As both are Word-based and deliver a template for Word. There can be a lot of coincidences between them both.
Therefore I would deactivate either Trados OR Wordfast template.
You can use either the one or the other, but not both at the same time. But they can coexist on the same machine without any problem. I have the Wordfast template simply deactivated. If I would need it, it is simply enough to activate it again and deactivate the Trados one.

Regards
Jerzy

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Q for Jerzy Aug 9, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As both are Word-based and deliver a template for Word. There can be a lot of coincidences between them both.
Therefore I would deactivate either Trados OR Wordfast template.
You can use either the one or the other, but not both at the same time. But they can coexist on the same machine without any problem. I have the Wordfast template simply deactivated. If I would need it, it is simply enough to activate it again and deactivate the Trados one.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy

I have Trados 6.0, but now have just installed Wordfast. I just assumed I could choose which to use - one day Trados, another day Wordfast, but not both simultaneously (can't imagine how that's possible anyway!) - but now you have raised a doubt...

If I do have to deactivate templates, where do I go and how do I do it?

TIA:-)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TWO possibilities Aug 9, 2004

The "hard" (though IMO better) and the "soft" one:

The "hard" one: you have to locate the Word start up folder in your OS. Usually (in Win XP) it is c:\\documents and setting\\your user name\\Applications\\Microsoft\\Word\\StartUp
There you can find both Trados and Wordfast template.
What you need is to rename the one you do not want to use from *.dot to *.do_ (or *.dox or *.dot.xyz or in similar way), causing Word not to recognise this as template.
Then it will no
... See more
The "hard" (though IMO better) and the "soft" one:

The "hard" one: you have to locate the Word start up folder in your OS. Usually (in Win XP) it is c:\\documents and setting\\your user name\\Applications\\Microsoft\\Word\\StartUp
There you can find both Trados and Wordfast template.
What you need is to rename the one you do not want to use from *.dot to *.do_ (or *.dox or *.dot.xyz or in similar way), causing Word not to recognise this as template.
Then it will not be loaded on startup.

The "soft" one: in Word from menu Format choose Templates and add ons and deselect the template you don´t want to work with. After restarting Word it will remain inactive.

I´m sorry to cause any doubts.
As you see, you can install both Trados and Wordfast at the same machine, but use them separately.
I hope now it is a bit clearer.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Soft option Aug 9, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The "soft" one: in Word from menu Format choose Templates and add ons and deselect the template you don´t want to work with. After restarting Word it will remain inactive.

I´m sorry to cause any doubts.
As you see, you can install both Trados and Wordfast at the same machine, but use them separately.
I hope now it is a bit clearer.

Regards
Jerzy

Thanks Jerzy,

You have probably saved me a few headaches:-) Not the first time either:-)

Ailish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados coexist with other CATs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »