Thread poster: Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Local time: 17:17
German to Czech
+ ...
Aug 11, 2004

Hello everybody,

could anyone help me to solve the following problem, please?
I am translating an rtf.file in Word 97, Trados 5.0. Suddenly the formatting tags disappeared on one page, just ".." instead. Futhermore, the program would not let me continue. I cannot open a new segment. The cursor would move to the error position and stay there.
I have got the error message:
Translation unit seems to be open: close it before opening a now one!
But it just would
... See more
Hello everybody,

could anyone help me to solve the following problem, please?
I am translating an rtf.file in Word 97, Trados 5.0. Suddenly the formatting tags disappeared on one page, just ".." instead. Futhermore, the program would not let me continue. I cannot open a new segment. The cursor would move to the error position and stay there.
I have got the error message:
Translation unit seems to be open: close it before opening a now one!
But it just would not let me close it.

I reorganized my memory.
No remedy.

What shall I do?

To start once more would be only the last resort, I think.

Thanks a lot fpr your help.

Kind Regards

Martina
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some things to do Aug 11, 2004

First try to use the "Repair document" function from Trados menu.
If this does not help: open the original file with untranslated text. Search for the place the error occured. In translated file delete two or three sentences before and after the error, copy them from the the original file and insert them in the translated file. Should the error occur once again at the same place, repeat this procedure only for the sentence in question, translate it manually (ie NOT using TRADOS) and contin
... See more
First try to use the "Repair document" function from Trados menu.
If this does not help: open the original file with untranslated text. Search for the place the error occured. In translated file delete two or three sentences before and after the error, copy them from the the original file and insert them in the translated file. Should the error occur once again at the same place, repeat this procedure only for the sentence in question, translate it manually (ie NOT using TRADOS) and continue with the next sentence. Maybe you will need to translate manually some more sentences, until paragraph mark is reached, but this should help. Sometimes there are errors in files, which cannot be solved in other way.

The possible cause can be corrupted Normal.dot template. To find this out close Word, rename the current Normal.dot to XNormal.dot and restart Word. Should the error not occur, your Normal.dot was corrupted. Follow the help function of Word how to restore settings from your previous Normal.dot.

Further you can look at TRADOS KB at http://support.trados.com

HTH
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Martina Ley
Martina Ley
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Aug 11, 2004

Hi Jerzy,

thank you very much.

Martina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error in Trados Workbench 5.0 - cannot close and open a segment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »