Thread poster: Gary Hess
Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
German to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2004

Hi --

Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this Trados problem?

I have used Trados 5.5 and Word 97 for two years on this Windows 2000 machine. Basically no problems (except for the usual bug or two...).

One of my main clients has Word 2002 so I decided to upgrade. Unfortunately, now I can't get Trados 5.5 to work with the new version of Word.

I thought it was a problem with Word 2002 but after one hour on the phone with Microsoft Support I
... See more
Hi --

I have used Trados 5.5 and Word 97 for two years on this Windows 2000 machine. Basically no problems (except for the usual bug or two...).

One of my main clients has Word 2002 so I decided to upgrade. Unfortunately, now I can't get Trados 5.5 to work with the new version of Word.

I thought it was a problem with Word 2002 but after one hour on the phone with Microsoft Support I determined that removing the trados5.dot add-in from Word would solve the problem. Otherwise stated, Trados is making Word freeze.

What happens is that once I get a Word file open, I can't type more than a couple of characters before Word locks up. Sometimes one character, sometimes more, but I never get far.

Any ideas or similar experiences?
Collapse

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
I think... Aug 15, 2004

Hi Gary,
I think you should reinstall Trados. (First, uninstall completely, and then install again.)
I have Trados 5.5 working with Word 2000 (Win XP) and have had no problem.
Before that, I had been working with Win 98 also with Trados. When upgraded to Win XP, I just reinstalled the program, and that's it.
Hope this helps.
Tadzio.

Jasna Kespret
Jasna Kespret
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
Trados Forum Aug 16, 2004

Gary, you can also ask Trados users at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/messages
or search the answer in their archives.
Rgds - Jasna

Gary Hess wrote:

Hi --

I thought it was a problem with Word 2002 but after one hour on the phone with Microsoft Support I determined that removing the trados5.dot add-in from Word would solve the problem. Otherwise stated, Trados is making Word freeze.

What happens is that once I get a Word file open, I can't type more than a couple of characters before Word locks up. Sometimes one character, sometimes more, but I never get far.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Trados 6.5 Aug 18, 2004

Hello,

i believe that the Word XP support comes with Trados 6.

Maybe it will be a good idea to upgrade your Trados version.

With kind regards

Hans

Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalled the whole system Aug 18, 2004

I didn't want to do it, but I finally just reinstalled Windows 2000 after backing up all my data. That was a time-consuming process, but it worked. Now I have Windows 2000, Word 2000 (XP) and Trados 5.5 working on this machine. Hurrah!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am not particularly eager to upgrade Trados at the moment because it is only two years old.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 10:54
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
what if... Aug 19, 2004

What if simply to install Word 2000 (say on the D drive, while the Office XP sits on C) and then install Trados 5 to D as well? Will it work (that's waht i plan to do; as I have "all XP").

Thanks,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help? Trados 5.5 crashes Word 2002 (XP)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »