Thread poster: Ana Maria Medeiros
Ana Maria Medeiros
Ana Maria Medeiros  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 17, 2004

How do I keep the numbers of footnotes in the translated document?
Thks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-17 16:34]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:11
English to German
+ ...
Please be more specific Aug 17, 2004

Hi Ana Maria,
Please help us to help you by providing more information:

- Which document format are you referring to?
- Assuming it's MS Word - which version?
- Which version of Workbench do you use?
- Does the numbering issue persist after cleanup?

Best regards,
Ralf

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Footnotes should be transferred manually into the target segment Aug 18, 2004

Yesterday I encountered the first occasion of a footnote when translating with Wordfast. When I wanted to go on to the next segment Wf reminded me, that the index to the footnote should be transferred to the target segment.
But the footnote itself was not translated, I had to do it manually after cleanup (footnotes do not show up in normal view, which I prefer during translation).
Hope this is of some help?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not with Trados Aug 18, 2004

Hi Heinrich,
As Ana Maria posted the question in Trados Support, I would assume that she has encountered a problem when working with Trados...

In fact, Trados supports the handling of footnotes in MS Word - it's just that we need more details to find out where Ana Maria's problem is.

Best regards, Ralf

Ana Maria Medeiros
Ana Maria Medeiros  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Information Aug 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ana Maria,
Please help us to help you by providing more information:

- Which document format are you referring to?
- Assuming it's MS Word - which version?
- Which version of Workbench do you use?
- Does the numbering issue persist after cleanup?

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi!
I'm trying to work with
- MS Word 2000
- Workbench 5 Freelance

I don't know what to do with footnotes and footnotes numbers. How do I "transfer" the numbers from source to target doc?

Thks

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Getting there... Aug 19, 2004

...but I'm afraid I need to keep asking...

I don't know what to do with footnotes and footnotes numbers. How do I "transfer" the numbers from source to target doc?

Can we clarify which numbers you're referring to - the footnote labels (numericals in superscript) that contain the link to the footnote? Assuming the footnote was properly formatted in the first place (using the Word function), numbering should be automatic.

The core question that's often asked is how to handle the footnote - this is described in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide that's available from TranslationZone.

Note that the footnote numbers will be "doubled" as long as you're working with a bilingual document - once you've cleaned up your document, the numbering should be ok.

HTH, Ralf

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados Help Aug 19, 2004

There is a topic on footnotes in Word in Trados Help. Start Translator's Workbench, go to Help - Help Topics and read the following topic: Translator's Workbench Interfaces - Microsoft Word - Footnote Handling in Word. (This is for Trados Freelance 6.5, the topics in your version might be called differently.)

cyberyoo
cyberyoo
English to Korean
+ ...
It was a great help !! Sep 29, 2004

Thanks Hynek, It was a great help.
But I encountered another problem.
I have total 5 footnotes and the first one worked great. But I am getting "Subsegment not found" message in workbench window.
Any idea why? and How to solve this problem please?
Thanks in advance!

Hynek Palatin wrote:

There is a topic on footnotes in Word in Trados Help. Start Translator's Workbench, go to Help - Help Topics and read the following topic: Translator's Workbench Interfaces - Microsoft Word - Footnote Handling in Word. (This is for Trados Freelance 6.5, the topics in your version might be called differently.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbering of footnotes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »