Embedded images and textboxes in Word 2000/Trados 5.5
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 07:48
French to English
Aug 21, 2004

I have a confession to make: I don't use Trados very often because most of my work is more "editorial" in nature. Occasionally, I do translate a training manual or other documents that lend themselves to using Trados. Because I only use it a couple times a year, I will be honest: I really barely know even the basic functions and have been secretly getting along fine with what I do know, which is:

I use TW to translate documents in .doc format. I then use the Word macro for cleanup.
... See more
I have a confession to make: I don't use Trados very often because most of my work is more "editorial" in nature. Occasionally, I do translate a training manual or other documents that lend themselves to using Trados. Because I only use it a couple times a year, I will be honest: I really barely know even the basic functions and have been secretly getting along fine with what I do know, which is:

I use TW to translate documents in .doc format. I then use the Word macro for cleanup. For some reason I have never successfully used the TW cleanup function with Word or RTF format files and I never took the time to find out why.

Anyhow, here are two problems that just cropped up in the document I am doing:

1. there are a number of embedded images in the word doc. After running the word cleanup macro, the images are no longer displayed. A gray field with the codes is now displayed: {EMBED MSPhotoEd3} for example. If I right-click to modify the embedded image, it is still there, just not displayed in the word doc.

2. I am unable to run the cleanup macro in a couple of text boxes. Nothing happens and I still have the hidden source text appearing in the boxes. In the past it has always worked for footnotes, text boxes, etc. I would just run the cleanup for all of them separately.

Now I know that I am a walking Trados disaster, but I would appreciate any help more experienced users could give me on how to resolve these two issues. If you do, in exchange I promise to learn to use the software properly!!

Thanks for any tips you can give!

Regards,
Sara
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded images and textboxes in Word 2000/Trados 5.5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »