Thread poster: Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
German to Croatian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2004

Hello!

I have been asked to edit phone numbers in a xml file I am translating with the help of TagEditor (5.5), i.e. delete (0) which is not used when the caller calls from
abroad. Trados, as usual, skips numbers.

I would like to know if there is an option to choose which would enable me to access numbers for editing as well.

TIA!

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Remove document protection Aug 31, 2004

Hello,

If you remove the document protection, you can edit alle text in the ttx file without use the translation process. You can also use search and replace.

With kind regards

Hans

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unprotect the document? Aug 31, 2004

Dear Hans,

How do I unprotect the document? I have tried it by unchecking the boxes in Tools/Options/Protection, but I believe this is not what you've meant.

Best regards,

Vesna

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Unprotect Aug 31, 2004

Hello,

this is what I mean.

The first checkbox has to deactiveted. Then you can edit the text in the ttx file directly.

Hans

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work for me Aug 31, 2004

Unforunately, the phone numbers are skipped all the same...

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Unprotect Aug 31, 2004

Hello,

what do you mean with "skipped"?

I think you should got to the phone number and edit the number like you can edit the number in Word, without open a segment.

If you want to change the numbers with Trados, you can take a look into the setup of your translation memory. Maybe it is possible to change the options of the substitutions. I don't test it, but maybe ...

Regards

Hans

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uneditable numbers Aug 31, 2004

DSC wrote:

what do you mean with "skipped"?

Hans

(Phone) Numbers are shown between translation units, but cannot be accessed. When going from one TU to the next, Trados just springs over them. I can put a cursor over numbers, but I cannot delete anything or edit them in any other way.
I have contacted the client, so perhaps she comes up with a solution.

P.S. This article in the Trados Knowledge base claims that if "... the whole segment consists of nothing but a number, then Translator's Workbench treats this whole part of text as non-translatable. This is currently by design.".
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=721

Has this "current" solution from 2000/2001 changed since?

[Edited at 2004-08-31 12:15]

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Edit Aug 31, 2004

Hello,

yes you are right, Trados skips the numbers, but if you close the segment and unprotect the document you can edit everything in the file like you edit a text in Word.

Regards

Hans

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You've made my day! Aug 31, 2004

Hi Hans,

You are right! All the time I have been concentrating on the tag protection, but the key is in the document protection and its boxes located below tag protection options.

Besten Dank!

Vesna

DSC wrote:

Hello,

yes you are right, Trados skips the numbers, but if you close the segment and unprotect the document you can edit everything in the file like you edit a text in Word.

Regards

Hans

[Edited at 2004-08-31 12:23]

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Create a new TU Sep 2, 2004

Hello,

if I have to change phone numbers, product codes, manual numbers etc. and if I want this to go into the TM, I do it this way:

* turn off tag protection
* select an existing translation unit incl. the separators from anywhere in the TTX
* copy the TU and paste it right in front of or after the number
* delte the source and target text of the TU, cut the number and place it into the source and target segments

Now you can open the segm
... See more
Hello,

if I have to change phone numbers, product codes, manual numbers etc. and if I want this to go into the TM, I do it this way:

* turn off tag protection
* select an existing translation unit incl. the separators from anywhere in the TTX
* copy the TU and paste it right in front of or after the number
* delte the source and target text of the TU, cut the number and place it into the source and target segments

Now you can open the segment as usual, change the number in the target segment and save it into the TM.

I have created a mini TTX (download Empty_ttx_TU.zip). It only contains one simple translation unit without any source and target text. You may use it to copy the empty TU into your current TTX an insert the numbers.

Best,
*Stefan.

[Edited at 2004-09-02 08:12]

[Edited at 2004-09-02 08:14]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing phone numbers in TagEditor?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »