[5] Access is denied
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2004

Hello, all!

Earlier today I was happily working on a document with a TM. I shut down my computer and later went back to work on the file. When I tried to open the TM again, I got the error message "[5] Access is denied" followed by the path to the TM.

I need to use that TM to get a job out. Has anyone ever experienced this bizarre behavior before. Is the a fix?

Thanks very much!

Harold

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:05
English to Norwegian
+ ...
PC asleep Sep 2, 2004

It may be because your computer goes to sleep. When you "awake" it again, the USB dongle (if you have that) sometimes lose contact with the system. Solution: close Workbench and re-open.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have a bad experience with that error message Sep 2, 2004

Hi Harold,

I have experienced that a few times. Usually it happens when the computer crashes for some reason. From my own experience, that memory would be no longer usable and I need to recreate a new one and use the last exported memory. This would imply loosing the memory segments created in-between (after exporting and before the crash). So I would need to clean-up the files that correspond to that "in-between" period.

If there is anyone out there that knows a bette
... See more
Hi Harold,

I have experienced that a few times. Usually it happens when the computer crashes for some reason. From my own experience, that memory would be no longer usable and I need to recreate a new one and use the last exported memory. This would imply loosing the memory segments created in-between (after exporting and before the crash). So I would need to clean-up the files that correspond to that "in-between" period.

If there is anyone out there that knows a better solution, I really look forward to hear it. May be Ralf Lemster can help since he knows a lot about Trados and has helped me a few times too.

Regards,
Mónica
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:05
English to German
+ ...
Thanks... Sep 2, 2004

...but it's pretty difficult to find the reason without more info (particularly the operating system used). I suspect this is more likely to be caused by the OS (IOW the OS might be 'thinking' that the TM files are still used by another process).

If re-starting the computer doesn't solve it, you may want to try (i) creating a copy of the files (possibly renaming them slightly) or (ii) creating a copy of the .tmw file only. After opening this, you will need to re-organise the TM (as
... See more
...but it's pretty difficult to find the reason without more info (particularly the operating system used). I suspect this is more likely to be caused by the OS (IOW the OS might be 'thinking' that the TM files are still used by another process).

If re-starting the computer doesn't solve it, you may want to try (i) creating a copy of the files (possibly renaming them slightly) or (ii) creating a copy of the .tmw file only. After opening this, you will need to re-organise the TM (as the four index files will not be available).

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[5] Access is denied

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »