Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 11:50
German to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2004

Hi there,

A quick but rather urgent question. I have just received a batch of *.dot files to be translated and would like to use Trados on them. I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and my computer runs on Windows XP.

I wasn't able to analyse the files but I was able to open them, use Trados on them and save them still as *.dot files. Are there any important problems associated with using Trados for these types of files or is there anything else I should know?

If an
... See more
Hi there,

A quick but rather urgent question. I have just received a batch of *.dot files to be translated and would like to use Trados on them. I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and my computer runs on Windows XP.

I wasn't able to analyse the files but I was able to open them, use Trados on them and save them still as *.dot files. Are there any important problems associated with using Trados for these types of files or is there anything else I should know?

If anyone can give me the benefit of their experience, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Work on rtf Sep 6, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:

I've done this before (thouh in Trados 3, quite a while ago) and it worked perfectly.

Open each dot (right-click > Open, don't double-click it), save it as rtf, analyze them, work them away in Trados and save the cleaned files back as *.dot - AFAIK, a template is just a Word document coded so that it will be opened again and again as "backbone" for a new document.

Best luck

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Please note Sep 6, 2004

Muja wrote:
Open each dot (right-click > Open, don't double-click it), save it as rtf, analyze them, work them away in Trados and save the cleaned files back as *.dot - AFAIK, a template is just a Word document coded so that it will be opened again and again as "backbone" for a new document.

True, however there is an important difference between RTF and the other two native MS Word file formats (dot and doc): RTF cannot contain macros, which means that if there were to be macros in the dot files, you would strip them from these files by saving them as RTF and then back as dot. Hence, you will want to use the RTFs for analysis only.

Just my 2 cts,

Benjamin

Valentina Pecchiar
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Mightly true >>> use doc Sep 6, 2004

tectransDE wrote:
RTF cannot contain macros, which means that if there were to be macros in the dot files, you would strip them from these files by saving them as RTF and then back as dot.

Sorry, I completely overlooked the case, the dot files might indeed contain macros.

To overcome this, just convert the dot's to *.doc (which is Trados compatible) - Everything else stands true.

Thanks Benjamin.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 7, 2004

Thanks for your help guys,

And greetings back home to Ireland, Muya (have a Guinness on me - I already owe Benjamin a few Kölsch)

All the best

Ian

Valentina Pecchiar
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Slainte, salute! Sep 7, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:
Thanks for your help guys,
And greetings back home to Ireland, Muya (have a Guinness on me - I already owe Benjamin a few Kölsch)
All the best
Ian

Tá fáilte romhat, you're welcome. And thanks for the Guinnes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados be used for dot files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »