Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

Hello,

I am working with Trados 5.5 (a Word file) and I can't close a segment. The strange thing is that I can continue opening and closing the following segments but the one I am talking about stays open. I tried to fix the document with Trados option (Trados > Fix Document) but the problem is still there... What should I do?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:49
English to German
+ ...
Not really open Sep 10, 2004

Hi Cecilia,
If you can open another segment, this means that the segment in question isn't really open (although it might look that way).

Is there a section break, or an embedded object (picture, chart, etc.) next to that segment?

Have you tried working on a copy of the file (IOW is the behaviour recurrent, or has something gone wrong with this instance)?

Have you made sure that there were no revision marks left in the document be
... See more
Hi Cecilia,
If you can open another segment, this means that the segment in question isn't really open (although it might look that way).

Is there a section break, or an embedded object (picture, chart, etc.) next to that segment?

Have you tried working on a copy of the file (IOW is the behaviour recurrent, or has something gone wrong with this instance)?

Have you made sure that there were no revision marks left in the document before starting to work on it?

It's very difficult to check the reason for this without checking the file. I have seen this kind of behaviour - usually this was a formatting problem with the Word file.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your coments Sep 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Cecilia,
If you can open another segment, this means that the segment in question isn\'t really open (although it might look that way).

I think this is the case!!!

No!!!!!

It is not a copy of the file.

Have you made sure that there were no revision marks left in the document before starting to work on it?

No revisions marks left...

It\'s very difficult to check the reason for this without checking the file. I have seen this kind of behaviour - usually this was a formatting problem with the Word file.

One question Ralf, if this is the case, how can I fix it? Is it fixable?

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
Best regards, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:49
English to German
+ ...
Can't tell by remote diagnosis, I'm afraid... Sep 10, 2004

Hi again,
Slightly OT, information on how to use the quoting function is here...

I think this is the case!!!

...in which case you may have to copy this section from the original file.

It is not a copy of the file.

Let me rephrase that: try to use a copy of the original file (which, I hope, you kept unchanged...) and check if the behaviour occurs again.

It's very difficult to check the reason for this without checking the file. I have seen this kind of behaviour - usually this was a formatting problem with the Word file.

One question Ralf, if this is the case, how can I fix it? Is it fixable?

Probably, but not necessarily - impossible to tell without looking at the file.

Sorry...
Ralf

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
formatting mark missing Sep 10, 2004

I've had this several times, and usually it meant I deleted a formatting mark.

Go to: tools - options and select "all" below "formatting marks".

As you can see in your text, each translation is opened and closed with a specific formatting mark. You probably miss the closing one for this segment. Try to copy one from another location. If you can't copy it, first go to Trados and click on "toggle tag protection". Now you can copy -paste the formatting mark. This should so
... See more
I've had this several times, and usually it meant I deleted a formatting mark.

Go to: tools - options and select "all" below "formatting marks".

As you can see in your text, each translation is opened and closed with a specific formatting mark. You probably miss the closing one for this segment. Try to copy one from another location. If you can't copy it, first go to Trados and click on "toggle tag protection". Now you can copy -paste the formatting mark. This should solve your problem. If you can't figure it out, send me the document (please zip if it's very big), and I'll try to fix it. ([email protected]) (delete the nospam from the address). I will be home in about an hour and can try to solve it then. Good luck.
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Undo Sep 10, 2004

it will now be too late, but when I get this kind of errors, I click Undo as many times as necessary to get back to the previous stage. Sometimes I also close Trados and the document without saving it. It only takes a short time to retranslate the segments that are already in the memory up to the point where things went wrong.
Being a highly 'untechnical' person, I always devise pragmatical ways of solving problems...

Good luck
Lucia

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
French to English
Fix Document Sep 10, 2004

Never mind, I just noticed you tried that.

[Edited at 2004-09-10 17:09]

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 10, 2004

Many thanks for all your comments. At the end, I managed to solve my problem following Deisi's suggestion. Many thanks Deisi and also for your kind offer of checking my doc, but it is not necessary anymore....

Cecilia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados problem (I can't close segment)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »