Multiterm Convert : problem with mtw files (5.5 to iX)
Thread poster: Gaëlle DELAUCHE
Gaëlle DELAUCHE
Gaëlle DELAUCHE  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:01
English to French
Sep 13, 2004

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Multiterm Convert. I try to convert .mtw and .mta files sent by the client and an error message appears informing me that the database could not be opened.

I have Trados for Freelance version 6.5 and Multiterm iX.

May it come from the fact that the MTW files are 5.5 and that my version of MT is iX?

Could you help me to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Gaelle

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:01
English to German
+ ...
Checking details... Sep 13, 2004

Hi Gaelle,
I need to double-check a few details.
First of all, which MultiTerm version are you using (go to Help - About MultiTerm - which version/build number is shown)?

I have a problem with my Multiterm Convert. I try to convert .mtw and .mta files sent by the client and an error message appears informing me that the database could not be opened.

What does the error message say exactly?
Are you trying to convert the MT5.5 database (.mtw, plus associated files), using MT Convert, or are you trying to open the file in MTiX?

May it come from the fact that the MTW files are 5.5 and that my version of MT is iX?

You cannot open MT5.x databases in MTiX - to use the data in MTiX, you need to run MT Convert, and subsequently import the converted data into your MTiX termbase (or create a new one first).

Best regards, Ralf

Gaëlle DELAUCHE
Ireland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Further information Sep 13, 2004

Hi Ralph,

First of all, which MultiTerm version are you using (go to Help - About MultiTerm - which version/build number is shown)?

My MultiTerm version is 6.2.0.267. And my version of Trados for Freelance is 6.5.1.406.

The first error message (titled MultiTerm Migration Tool) exactly says the following:
The database could not be opened.
It looks as if its file has been renamed or deleted in the meantime.
If the database resides on a network drive, please check whether the drive is mounted.

When I click OK in this dialog box (named MultiTerm Convert), I get another error message:
The conversion option could not be initialised properly.

Are you trying to convert the MT5.5 database (.mtw, plus associated files), using MT Convert, or are you trying to open the file in MTiX?

I would like to convert the .mtw files from MT5.5 in order to be able to import them in MTiX.

I hope this additional information will help you understand my problem.

Best Regards,
Gaelle

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Outdated version Sep 13, 2004

Hi again,

My MultiTerm version is 6.2.0.267. And my version of Trados for Freelance is 6.5.1.406.

Are you aware that this Workbench version is outdated? It was replaced by T6.5.2 (build 417) at the beginning of this year, and T6.5.5 (build 438/439) has just been released. Version 6.5.1 contained numerous bugs - although I don't think this is related.

Also note that there was an upgrade to MTiX build 279 in February of this year.

The first error message (titled MultiTerm Migration Tool) exactly says the following:
The database could not be opened.
It looks as if its file has been renamed or deleted in the meantime.
If the database resides on a network drive, please check whether the drive is mounted.

How many files did you receive in total? With MT5.5, in addition to the .mtw file, there should be two sets of index files (*_0001.mdf, *_0001.mta., *_0001.mtf, *_0002.mdf, *_0002.mta., *_0002.mtf) - are these all present?

Still trying to ascertain where exactly the problem is.

Best, Ralf

Gaëlle DELAUCHE
Ireland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm Convert Sep 14, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Hi again,

Are you aware that this Workbench version is outdated? It was replaced by T6.5.2 (build 417) at the beginning of this year, and T6.5.5 (build 438/439) has just been released. Version 6.5.1 contained numerous bugs - although I don't think this is related.
Also note that there was an upgrade to MTiX build 279 in February of this year.

No I did not know this and I will update my version as soon as possible ! Thanks for this !

How many files did you receive in total? With MT5.5, in addition to the .mtw file, there should be two sets of index files (*_0001.mdf, *_0001.mta., *_0001.mtf, *_0002.mdf, *_0002.mta., *_0002.mtf) - are these all present?

I have the appropriate number of files !

For information, my client sent to me MT5.5 and I could open the files without any problem in this version of MT !

It just seems that MT Convert cannot convert those files ! Maybe the patch will resolve this ?

Best Regards,
Gaelle

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Still unsure Sep 14, 2004

Hi again,
I have the appropriate number of files !

Ok...

For information, my client sent to me MT5.5 and I could open the files without any problem in this version of MT !

Of course they would...

It just seems that MT Convert cannot convert those files ! Maybe the patch will resolve this ?

TBH I don't think so...

If you send me the MTW files (zipped, please!), I can test the conversion process.

Best, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Password protection is the problem Sep 14, 2004

Hi again,
Gaelle indicated in a private message that the MT5.5 termbase is password-protected. No need to test: you cannot convert unless you have full access. (Note that this is as designed: if conversion was possible, you could easily circumvent the password.)

Best regards, Ralf

Gaëlle DELAUCHE
Ireland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Sep 15, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your help.
I should have told you this information on the password-protection at the beginning of the discussion !

Gaelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Convert : problem with mtw files (5.5 to iX)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »