Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2004

Last week finally I gave in and signed for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5. Yesterday I recieved the OK from Trados and loaded the files into my computer.
The reason why I upgraded was, that Trados did not recognise the dongle, though I even upgraded the driver very recently. With 6.5 I believed I would not need any dongle anymore.
The first sign, that this is not the case, came when I started the install-program, which at some state asked, if I use a dongle or a software key. I first tri
... See more
Last week finally I gave in and signed for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5. Yesterday I recieved the OK from Trados and loaded the files into my computer.
The reason why I upgraded was, that Trados did not recognise the dongle, though I even upgraded the driver very recently. With 6.5 I believed I would not need any dongle anymore.
The first sign, that this is not the case, came when I started the install-program, which at some state asked, if I use a dongle or a software key. I first tried to continue with the software-key-alternative, but because such a file is not provided, I didn't get very far. The second attampt today, after connecting the dongle to the USB port (Win2000 recognising it) went smoothly, but when I started TagEditor, the software does not find the dongle and starts in demo-mode.
Yesterday I inquired by email with Trados, where to get the software key. No answer so far.
Is there any chance that I ever get rid of this dongle-problem and will be able to actual use trados? After two years with 5.5 I never was able to use it on a real project.
Collapse

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados dowload page Sep 15, 2004

Hi Henry,

I bought Trados as well. The software key is the license file (.lic) which you can find in the top row of the table on the download page (the table where the download buttons are).
If your have downloaded the licence file but it cannot be found on your PC, check if it has not become a .txt file (which happened in my case, I don't know why).

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh yes Sep 15, 2004

Thanks you, Els, I found it. They could have used some bigger font at least. Let's see what happens next.
Regards
Heinrich

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
You first have to generate the licence file Sep 15, 2004

Els is right. Go to your Trados Customer Center, click on Trados 6.5 highlighted in blue to open Product Download, click on Licence Keys in the upper left corner, click generate, and after it has been created, save it to your computer. Before that and for this purpose create a subfolder in Trados Folder (Program Files) named *Licenses* and save the .lic file there. It should be there before you start Trados installation.

If you got Multiterm Term Workstation in the package as well,
... See more
Els is right. Go to your Trados Customer Center, click on Trados 6.5 highlighted in blue to open Product Download, click on Licence Keys in the upper left corner, click generate, and after it has been created, save it to your computer. Before that and for this purpose create a subfolder in Trados Folder (Program Files) named *Licenses* and save the .lic file there. It should be there before you start Trados installation.

If you got Multiterm Term Workstation in the package as well, it is strongly advised (in the manual) to install it before you install Trados itself.

[Edited at 2004-09-15 06:47]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very well indeed! Sep 15, 2004

The license key is stored in the download-folder. When installing Trados generates a folder for itself, so I cannot save the license key there before installation.
This is all very sloppy programming it seems to me.
When they sent me the email with the link to the download page nothing was said about the license key or that multiterm should be installed first.
Now I tried to deinstall Multiterm, but it will not work, because some dot-file is not accessable to the deinstaller.

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Trados Customer Center Sep 15, 2004

You have downloaded the installation files to some other destination than program files. Before installing Trados, i created in the Program Files a folder TRADOS, and within it a subfolder Licenses. Copy the licence file there. When you launch Trados installation, it will only nest itself in the already prepared folder - no harm.

Other bits and pieces of information you find in the manuals

And after you've successfully installed it, there is a Patch Release for TRADOS
... See more
You have downloaded the installation files to some other destination than program files. Before installing Trados, i created in the Program Files a folder TRADOS, and within it a subfolder Licenses. Copy the licence file there. When you launch Trados installation, it will only nest itself in the already prepared folder - no harm.

Other bits and pieces of information you find in the manuals

And after you've successfully installed it, there is a Patch Release for TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance which "contains the combined set of hotfixes and updates for TRADOS 6.5.5 since its release in August 2004." http://www.translationzone.com./download.asp?menuItem=1

The advice on Multiterm Term Workstation can be read in TRADOS 6.5 Freelance Release Notes

"These release notes contain late-breaking information regarding this release, and TRADOS strongly recommends that you read them in their entirety before starting to use TRADOS 6.5 Freelance and its applications."

"If you plan to use MultiTerm Workstation, TRADOS strongly recommends that you install MultiTerm Workstation before installing TRADOS 6.5 Freelance.

"For more information about upgrading to TRADOS 6.5 Freelance from previous versions of TRADOS software, see the Upgrade Information section in the appropriate Getting Started Guide or application guide."

You can find both the Release Notes and the Getting Started Guide in your Trados Customer Center, on the very same page from where you accessed Licence Keys.

HTH

[Edited at 2004-09-15 07:33]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm will not deinstall Sep 15, 2004

During the deinstallation the Vb-debugger opens, and the process goes nowhere. In Word when clicking on MultiTerm/Select Termbase the error message "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec" shows up.
So I probably have to live with it, I do not to intend to use MultiTerm anyhow. But for this price one expects to get a software that is well behaved and does not mix up other applications.
Well, I figured out, that I had to remove the MultiTerm.dot manually and also Normal.dot, now th
... See more
During the deinstallation the Vb-debugger opens, and the process goes nowhere. In Word when clicking on MultiTerm/Select Termbase the error message "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec" shows up.
So I probably have to live with it, I do not to intend to use MultiTerm anyhow. But for this price one expects to get a software that is well behaved and does not mix up other applications.
Well, I figured out, that I had to remove the MultiTerm.dot manually and also Normal.dot, now the system is stable again and free of MultiTerm.

[Edited at 2004-09-15 23:39]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Information on softkey licensing Sep 21, 2004

Hi all,
I have brought this thread to the attention of Trados Support. They have re-worded the instructions for licensing, in order to make the process more transparent.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Installation guideline Sep 25, 2004

Hi again,
Trados have produced a more detailed, step-by-step installation guideline for T6.5 Freelance - anyone who is interested should contact me through my profile.

Best regards,
Ralf

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All well again Sep 25, 2004

Thanks Ralf, I hope this will help other users too. The manuals and tutorials for Trados are so voluminous, that nobody has the time to read them in order to extract the important information. Most software nowadays is self-explaining, and we users hardly ever bother to read instructions befor installations.
Hope I'll remeber to get the most recent update befor I eventually start to use my new Trados.
Regards
Heinrich

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File Format Reference Guide Sep 25, 2004

Hi Heinrich,
Most software nowadays is self-explaining, and we users hardly ever bother to read instructions befor installations.

I know the problem, yet I would strongly recommend to take some time to get acquainted with complex software packages such as Trados or Microsoft Word (yes...).

The Trados File Formats Reference Guide (available for download from TranslationZone is a useful resource; you will find a quick reference on the same page.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get the software key?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »