MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 03:46
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2004

Hi everyone,

I have a rather large collection of terminology in simple txt format (the expressions are separated by a tabstop).

I work with Multiterm iX 6.0.1.209 and would REALLY like to know how to import these expressions into an newly created opened termbase.
Thanks for any reply and help.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm Convert Sep 15, 2004

It is supposed to do the trick for comma separated files. You can change a tab separated to a comma separated file ex. importing to a database program and exporting a CSV file or writing few lines of code.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade to build 267/279 Sep 15, 2004

Hi Mike,
I work with Multiterm iX 6.0.1.209 and would REALLY like to know how to import these expressions into an newly created opened termbase.

As 'rzawadzk' already pointed out, the MT Convert utility can be used for this purpose. However, you're using an outdated version of MTiX: build 209 had a converter, but with very limited capability.

You will need to deinstall MTiX 6.0.1.209, install 6.2.0.267 (build 267) and then upgrade to build 279. The software is available on TranslationZone; contact your Trados vendor for login details.

HTH, Ralf

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm doc&txt convert Sep 16, 2004

After hours of work, I found the solution by editing the XML-code in MS-WORD and then save the changes into a UNICODE-format. It works well. Nevertheless, thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade; Multiterm Convert Sep 17, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply. I will upgrade soon, as this is the best way. Meanwhile I found another solution by editing the XML-code in a txt-file.

Mike

Blade
Blade
English to Chinese
How to edit the xml code in Word Nov 10, 2004

MikeTrans wrote:

After hours of work, I found the solution by editing the XML-code in MS-WORD and then save the changes into a UNICODE-format. It works well. Nevertheless, thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

Would you tell us your methord any more?

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Here's my method Nov 10, 2004

Blade wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:

Mike

Would you tell us your methord any more?

Hi Blade,

I'm not Mike, but here's my method. In the early days of Multiterm Convert or Migration Wizard importing did not work well for me (in fact did not work at all).

So I knocked together this workflow:

1. Create a bilingual glossary in Multiterm and enter a single term pair in it.

2. Export it to XML using the default export definition (which also happens to be the default import definition).

3. Looking at the XML I wrote a Perl script which runs inside NoteTab Pro (www.notetab.com), and excellent shareware program. This script converts a tab delimited plain text glossary to XML following the default export/import definition layout.

4. Convert the XML file to the UTF-16 (Unicode) encoding.

5. Import the XML glossary into the glossary created in step one.

I often use this method even now, when importing works better.

My Perl script could be improved to work outside of NoteTab Pro, but I still have to learn how to work with Unicode files in Perl.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2004-11-10 20:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing txt formatted terminology into MultiTerm iX

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »