Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2004

I have very kindly been given a TM by a client, it was the only one they had, but it is the "wrong way round". I.e. I need Italian to English, and this is English to Italian (they have sent me all 5 TM files).

Is there any way I can "turn round" this TM so that I can use it in my normal way. Or can I open it, export it and reimport it the right way etc?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:25
English to German
+ ...
You got it... Sep 16, 2004

Hi Alexander,
Or can I open it, export it and reimport it the right way etc?

In a nutshell.

Best regards, Ralf

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried to do this but ... Sep 16, 2004

.. I coudn't see any obvious parameters to change.
E.g. should i export as tmx or txt? are there any options to watch out for when doing this?
When I create the new TM, are there any new paramaters i cn chanfe during import?

Can you give me some idea of the options/parameters to change during the import export process.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nothing to change Sep 16, 2004

Sorry...

There are no parameters to change at all: you export the EN>IT TM (.txt, without any filters, assuming you need all TUs), create a new IT>EN TM and import the file you just exported. Workbench will automatically import the data the right way around.

A few points to note:
- Obviously there are linguistic restrictions to 'reversing' a TM.
- You may want to edit the exported file by changing the creator of the entries ('CrU') to 'ALIGN!' before importi
... See more
Sorry...

There are no parameters to change at all: you export the EN>IT TM (.txt, without any filters, assuming you need all TUs), create a new IT>EN TM and import the file you just exported. Workbench will automatically import the data the right way around.

A few points to note:
- You may want to edit the exported file by changing the creator of the entries ('CrU') to 'ALIGN!' before importing. In this way, Workbench will apply the alignment penalty to reversed units.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Sep 17, 2004

Seems to have worked.

Cheers.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Great and thanks Sep 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Sorry...

A few points to note:
- You may want to edit the exported file by changing the creator of the entries ('CrU') to 'ALIGN!' before importing. In this way, Workbench will apply the alignment penalty to reversed units.

HTH, Ralf
Hi Ralf! That was a wonderful tip. I was worrying about turning my IT TM the otherway, but was afraid to lose any part of it. This tip functions with Fusion aswell.
Thank you again,
brandis

[Edited at 2004-09-18 03:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inverting language pair in Trados TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »