Internet connection problem after installing TRADOS
Thread poster: Kiru
Kiru
Kiru
Local time: 05:25
English to Hebrew
Sep 21, 2004

Hi Eveyone,

Ever since I installed the demo version of Trados 6.5 Freelance 2 days ago, it is causing problmes to my Internet connection.
The connection slows down and after a few minutes stops working altogether.

I had to uninstall it in order to post this message.

Does anyone have a solution?

thanks

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Sep 22, 2004

Hi Kiru,
Can you please provide more details?

- Which operating system are you using?
- Which browser are you using?
- How do you connect to the internet?

Thanks, Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:25
French to Portuguese
+ ...
The same happened to me Sep 22, 2004

I've got Trados 5 freelance, Windows XP and Office 2000 (since I couldn't have the Trados 5 version in Office XP).

Since I installed Trados, I have been having problems with my my internet connection. I thought it was my server and was thinking of calling them. If I am connected to internet and don't use it for about 1 hour, when I try again it doesn't work and I have to start the PC once again.

Never thought it could probably be because of Trados. Is it really possible
... See more
I've got Trados 5 freelance, Windows XP and Office 2000 (since I couldn't have the Trados 5 version in Office XP).

Since I installed Trados, I have been having problems with my my internet connection. I thought it was my server and was thinking of calling them. If I am connected to internet and don't use it for about 1 hour, when I try again it doesn't work and I have to start the PC once again.

Never thought it could probably be because of Trados. Is it really possible?

A nice day to everyone.
Ivana
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It seems very unlikely, that Trados interferes with Internet connection Sep 22, 2004

What I would do is to try to set a new Internet connection with the same data, using a slight different name and then try to se this new one as a standard connection.

Just a thought
Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
See above... Sep 22, 2004

Hi Ivana,
Never thought it could probably be because of Trados. Is it really possible?

I tend to agree with Jerzy: not impossible, but very unlikely.

Anyway, did you notice my earlier posting?

- How do you connect to the internet?

Thanks again...
Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
To Ralf Sep 23, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your answer.

My internet is provided by cable and I never had problems with it (I use internet by cable for 3 years already). It was probably a coincidence that it has happened to our colleague Kiru and to me, I don't know.

My husband is a software technician and he says it is likely, since he sometimes sees things in his work that are quite unlikely to happen, but really do. However, he doesn't know Trados and doesn't know if this c
... See more
Hi Ralf,

My internet is provided by cable and I never had problems with it (I use internet by cable for 3 years already). It was probably a coincidence that it has happened to our colleague Kiru and to me, I don't know.

My husband is a software technician and he says it is likely, since he sometimes sees things in his work that are quite unlikely to happen, but really do. However, he doesn't know Trados and doesn't know if this could have happened or not.

Regards,
Ivana
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...which browser?? Sep 23, 2004

Hi Ivana,

...quoting it again:

This could be important, as some parts of Trados are linked to MS Internet Explorer.

Thanks, Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Browser Sep 23, 2004

Sorry Ralf,

I guess I was already too sleepy last night and didn't answer to that. I have MS Internet Explorer.

Thank you once again.
Ivana

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
really the connection? Sep 24, 2004

"The connection slows down and after a few minutes stops working altogether."

- you mean the connection acually closes down (can you ping something?), or that you cannot access any websites anymore?

In the first case, it is unlikely it is related to your browser. But it seems very very weird. In the second case, try to install another browser and see if that works. E.g. firefox: texturizer.net/firefox/download.html

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...and the version? Sep 24, 2004

Hi again, Ivana,
I guess I was already too sleepy last night and didn't answer to that. I have MS Internet Explorer.

Which version of MSIE are you using?
Did you check your connection settings? If you use the dial-up networking feature in Windows (I know you don't need to dial, but for example, I also use DUN when connecting to UMTS), is there a timeout setting?

Have you contacted your ISP, asking them to check your router or cable modem?

The way I see it, if Trados was to blame for the problem (and frankly, I don't think so), you shouldn't be able to connect at all.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't know what version of MSIE I've got Sep 26, 2004

Ralf,

It came with WinXP, it's all I can tell you.

It's been a while now that it hasn't happened (the fact of not having internet after a while).

I found it strange myself, but I found it curious that it happened to Kiru too.

Thank you everyone.
Regards
Ivana

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Jumping to conclusions? Sep 26, 2004

Hi again,
As with almost any Windows application, the version can be found under About..., which is either in the Help or ? menu.

It came with WinXP, it's all I can tell you.

In your first posting, you stated that it happened after having installed Trados - which one is correct?

It's been a while now that it hasn't happened (the fact of not having internet after a while).

But you didn't deinstall Trados, right?

I found it strange myself, but I found it curious that it happened to Kiru too.

Well, unfortunately, Kiru did not respond, so there's no way of finding out whether or not this was caused by a Trados installation. Once again, I don't think it was.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Explorer version Sep 27, 2004

Hi Ralph,

Once again, thank you for your answer.

I've checked the MS IE version: it's 6.0.

In your first posting, you stated that it happened after having installed Trados - which one is correct?

What I meant was that this version of the IE came when I bought the computer, which had WinXP (I thought that maybe the version could be associated to WinXP and that you could figure it out. Now I've checked the way you told me to).

In my
... See more
Hi Ralph,

Once again, thank you for your answer.

I've checked the MS IE version: it's 6.0.

What I meant was that this version of the IE came when I bought the computer, which had WinXP (I thought that maybe the version could be associated to WinXP and that you could figure it out. Now I've checked the way you told me to).

In my first posting I mentioned that after having intalled Trados 5 freelance, the internet connection stops working after a while if I'm not using it (the same that happened to Kiru). I'm connected all day long and whenever I need to go to the internet I do. After having installed Trados, if I stayed some time without going to the internet (doing other things in the computer, other than internet) I couldn't come back to the internet after a while.

But you didn't deinstall Trados, right?

Right! I didn't! I didn't desinstall anything. The fact is that this week I am not working a lot in the computer and when I do it doesn't happen anymore. But I'm careful not to leave the computer on all day long. Whenever I need to go to the internet I just turn the computer on.

Well, unfortunately, Kiru did not respond, so there's no way of finding out whether or not this was caused by a Trados installation. Once again, I don't think it was.

I really hope it's not.

Thank you once again for everything, Ralf.
Regards,
Ivana
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Tried to answer with quotes Sep 27, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I tried to answer with quotes but it seems that they didn't appear as in your comment above. I hope my previous text is not a bit confusing, since you see no difference between my comments and yours.

Ivana

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet connection problem after installing TRADOS

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »