Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2004

For the client's estimate, I analyzed the source files and found a number of repeats but zero fuzzy matches. Translating two of the files, I found that they are almost identical, with a good number of fuzzies in the 75-99% range. When opening a segment, the fuzzy match from the tm is properly displayed.

In most cases, only the product name (plus TM symbol) has changed.

The files are help files in Doc format; I'm using Word 2000.

I'm using Trados FL 6.5.5. B
... See more
For the client's estimate, I analyzed the source files and found a number of repeats but zero fuzzy matches. Translating two of the files, I found that they are almost identical, with a good number of fuzzies in the 75-99% range. When opening a segment, the fuzzy match from the tm is properly displayed.

In most cases, only the product name (plus TM symbol) has changed.

The files are help files in Doc format; I'm using Word 2000.

I'm using Trados FL 6.5.5. Build 439.
I tried the same with my old Trados version (3) with the same results.

Any idea what's causing this and how I could get an accurate analysis?
Collapse

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
it works as intended Sep 24, 2004

I think you analyzed the files with an empty memory at the beginning of the translation, so no fuzzy are stated as the translation has not started and the memory is empty.
While you work you feed the memory and some or many fuzzy match appear.
You could repeteat the analyse now and you'll get the number of fuzzy match that are still ahead of your translation (besides the number of word already translated [= 100% if the starting memory was empty] and the no match still to go. The ana
... See more
I think you analyzed the files with an empty memory at the beginning of the translation, so no fuzzy are stated as the translation has not started and the memory is empty.
While you work you feed the memory and some or many fuzzy match appear.
You could repeteat the analyse now and you'll get the number of fuzzy match that are still ahead of your translation (besides the number of word already translated [= 100% if the starting memory was empty] and the no match still to go. The analyse you could do at this moment is just to try to guess how much time you still need, in fact the analyse now would include many 100% match, that is all you have translated until now.

ciao
Ilde
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Sep 24, 2004

Hmm, I could have sworn that I previously got also fuzzies when analysing files with no exisitng tm...
I probably have been working too much with existings tms - or I'm getting too old!

But at least I don't have to have a bad conscience now about "ripping the client off" when it's just the way things are! Great, that was fast earned money!

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 13:32
German to English
+ ...
Product names Sep 25, 2004

Hello,

you can declare (in the setup section of a tm) the product names as non translatable variables.
Then zhey will be handled like numbers.

With kind regards

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect match/fuzzy analysis in Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »