Mayday, suddenly I can't open a Word file!
Thread poster: Jeffrey Nadeau
Jeffrey Nadeau
Jeffrey Nadeau  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
German to English
Sep 26, 2004

I'm using Trados 5.5. 95% of the way through a 10000 word file and I can't even open it using Word. I go to the "translated" folder and find the file. Try to open with Word and I get the message "document name or path is not valid.

I have no clue what to do. I could start completely over...

Parpalhol
Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:30
English to French
+ ...
Try this Sep 26, 2004

I have encountered the same problem with Wordfast. So you could try this : open Word first, then retrieve your file through the File/Open menu. Hope it will work.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
No need for panic Sep 26, 2004

First, are you trying to open it by selecting it through the recent documents? If so, just open it through Open under file.

If it's not the case, remember that all the translation is in your TM. So just open your untouched source, make a new working copy and press the "Translate to fuzzy" button.

I do hope you weren't working on your original copy. If so, it was time you learned about never doing that.

All the best,
Esther

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados or Word problem? Sep 26, 2004

Hi Jeffrey,
Your description would indicate that this is a problem related to Word rather than Trados - any specific indication for a Trados issue?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Close Trados Sep 26, 2004

If Trados is left open this might be the problem, so I would have tried closing both Trados and Word. Then reopen Word, and try to open the file from Word.

Good luck, and regarding working on "the orginal", I would not be to worried, since you still have your work in the TM, and could start over again using "Translate to fuzzy", or just "Translate".

If you haven't stored a copy I suppose you have an original stored in a temp-folder used by your e-mail programme when you
... See more
If Trados is left open this might be the problem, so I would have tried closing both Trados and Word. Then reopen Word, and try to open the file from Word.

Good luck, and regarding working on "the orginal", I would not be to worried, since you still have your work in the TM, and could start over again using "Translate to fuzzy", or just "Translate".

If you haven't stored a copy I suppose you have an original stored in a temp-folder used by your e-mail programme when you received the job.

Good luck!
Collapse

Jeffrey Nadeau
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
caused by Trados Sep 26, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Jeffrey,
Your description would indicate that this is a problem related to Word rather than Trados - any specific indication for a Trados issue?

Best regards,
Ralf

I was working in Trados on a sentence and used set/close to finish. Trados then would not continue so I used "fix document" in Trados. After that the file would not open in any application.

I can get the file to open with "recover text from any file" in file/open. But what I get is a jumbled mess.

[Edited at 2004-09-26 13:54]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A bit far-fetched... Sep 26, 2004

By the looks of it, there seems to be something wrong with the document. Before starting to translate, did you check that there were no revision marks in it?

A few more details, if I may...
Trados then would not continue...

What exactly happened? Did you get an error message?

Which Trados version are you using (the full version number, including the build number, please), also, which version of Word?

Would it be possible to send the file, so I could have a look at it?

Can you open other Word documents?

Thanks, Ralf

Jeffrey Nadeau
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
more info Sep 26, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

By the looks of it, there seems to be something wrong with the document. Before starting to translate, did you check that there were no revision marks in it?

A few more details, if I may...
Trados then would not continue...

What exactly happened? Did you get an error message?

Which Trados version are you using (the full version number, including the build number, please), also, which version of Word?

Would it be possible to send the file, so I could have a look at it?

Can you open other Word documents?

Thanks, Ralf

Ralf

Trados 5.5.2 build 257, Word 2000,
I have 12 other files that are working fine and have been translated through Trados. I use Workspace to run Trados and Word. No problem with any other files.

I was working on one sentence and tried to set/close, Trados then beeped and indicated in the footer an error about RTF I can't remember the exact message. But I have fixed this before with "fix document". I used "fix document" and tried to get Trados to move on to the next sentence. It wouldn't so I closed Trados and Word and tried to start over. Since then I have not been able to open the file in any application.

Also, Word indicates incorrect path name, as if the file doesnt even exist.

I'd be glad to send you the file. I'm getting ready to tell the client I can't deliver it...

[Edited at 2004-09-26 14:22]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sent you my e-mail address... Sep 26, 2004

...by ProZ.com profile message.

Best regards, Ralf

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
French to English
+ ...
Insert document as a file in a new document Sep 26, 2004

Hi Jeff,
I suspect Word may be the program having trouble reading the file. Here is a suggestion from the Microsoft Knowledgebase that has sometimes worked for me to open a document that no longer opens in Word:
1. In Word open a new document.
2. On the Insert menu click on File.
3. In the Insert File Dialog box locate and select the file you can't open. Then click OK.

If this does not work, have you tried the suggestion others gave to use T
... See more
Hi Jeff,
I suspect Word may be the program having trouble reading the file. Here is a suggestion from the Microsoft Knowledgebase that has sometimes worked for me to open a document that no longer opens in Word:
3. In the Insert File Dialog box locate and select the file you can't open. Then click OK.

If this does not work, have you tried the suggestion others gave to use Trados to "Translate to Fuzzy" and recreat your translated file that way? It sounds like a good suggestion to me although I have never tried it.
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Insert File - Thank you, Carolyn! Sep 27, 2004

Carolyn Denoncourt wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Even in the absence of a problem, this is very useful.

Best,
Esther

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Try Word's "Open and Repair" Oct 16, 2004

Hi Jeffrey

I did only rush through this thread, but your initial error message
"document name or path is not valid."

is not unkown to me with corrupted word documents. Actually it's misleading, because the file might be actually there.

Try the following:
In Word go to >File >Open (or Ctrl-O). The "Open" dialog appears. Browse to your doc and select it (but do not open it - do only mark it). Now please note the small down arrow on the right edge of the "Open" button. Do not click on the open button, but only on the small down arrow. The context menu of the open button will show. Select "Open and Repair" to open the doc. Word will try to open the document and repair it. It worked for me on a few docs where I had the same error message. I was able to recover docs that I already had kissed goodbye

Cheers,
*Stefan.

Ulrich Roos (X)
Ulrich Roos (X)
German
Just another trick: copy everything except the last paragraph sign Oct 18, 2004

Hi all!

Here is another trick that we use, when we have corrupt Word documents:

1. Open the corrupt document in Word.
  2. Make sure that you display all hidden characters.
  3. Create a new blank document.
  4. Go back to your corrupt document.
  5. Press Crtl + A to sel... See more
Hi all!

Here is another trick that we use, when we have corrupt Word documents:

1. Open the corrupt document in Word.
  2. Make sure that you display all hidden characters.
  3. Create a new blank document.
  4. Go back to your corrupt document.
  5. Press Crtl + A to select the entire contents.
  6. Hold down the Shift-Key and press the left arrow key. This will reduce your selection by one character which ought to be the last paragraph symbol.
  7. Press Crtl + C to copy your selection.
  8. Go to your blank document and press Crtl + V to paste your selection into the new document.
  9. Save the new document with a different name and you're done.

Please note that it is important that you do not copy the last paragraph symbol. The reason is that many Word documents get corrupt because of defective formatting information. A lot of this formatting information is internally stored in the last paragraph mark. By excluding it you may loose some of the formatting but are able to save the contents.

Regards,

Ulrich

[Edited at 2004-10-18 15:04]
Collapse

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
file Name correct? Nov 1, 2004

Sorry if someone else already suggested this solution, I haven't read everything...

Sometimes I can't open for example a document with a greek name. So, I righclick on it and rename it with an english one. This can also be a problem when there are any signs in the name. Or the .doc at the end is missing.

So, try to rename (rightclick-rename) the file to e.g. test.doc and see if it opens now.

piotrsut
piotrsut  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
The same thing here with Trados 6.5 Dec 4, 2004

The best I could do was open the source file again, and have Trados translate it again, which it did in a breeze. I guess the problem was related to some missing/corrupt trados tags.

Not a nice thing to happen, but it feels so good to watch the green bar going down the entire 20-page document - voila!

Just beginning work with Trados, and I DON'T like it for all the glitches, font changes, missing tags, refusals to clean file etc. And the disappointing functionality.... See more
The best I could do was open the source file again, and have Trados translate it again, which it did in a breeze. I guess the problem was related to some missing/corrupt trados tags.

Not a nice thing to happen, but it feels so good to watch the green bar going down the entire 20-page document - voila!

Just beginning work with Trados, and I DON'T like it for all the glitches, font changes, missing tags, refusals to clean file etc. And the disappointing functionality.
I hope Fusion will do a better job for the money, cause it sounds promising.

Piotr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mayday, suddenly I can't open a Word file!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »