Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 12:08
German to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

Hi there,

Not a major problem, this one, but a rather irritating one all the same.

I am working on a 30-page document which, when all the formatting characters (whitespace characters etc.) are shown, has "¬" symbols all over the place. I don't know what these are called and they don't seem to have any function or be recognised as a character by Trados, but they pop up with every new segment, regardless of whether I have unselected the "All" option.

Is ther
... See more
Hi there,

Not a major problem, this one, but a rather irritating one all the same.

I am working on a 30-page document which, when all the formatting characters (whitespace characters etc.) are shown, has "¬" symbols all over the place. I don't know what these are called and they don't seem to have any function or be recognised as a character by Trados, but they pop up with every new segment, regardless of whether I have unselected the "All" option.

Is there any way of hiding these permanently? I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and my operating system is Windows XP.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search and replace Sep 27, 2004

Hi Ian,
Looks like conditional hyphenation to me - the fact that these characters are displayed when working on a segment is 'as designed': Trados will always display all non-printables when working interactively. Unselecting 'All' doesn't help, therefore.

Of course they are meaningless for the translation, so you may want to get rid of them before getting started, using search and replace (in my German Word version, the character is called "bedingter Trennstrich").

... See more
Hi Ian,
Looks like conditional hyphenation to me - the fact that these characters are displayed when working on a segment is 'as designed': Trados will always display all non-printables when working interactively. Unselecting 'All' doesn't help, therefore.

Of course they are meaningless for the translation, so you may want to get rid of them before getting started, using search and replace (in my German Word version, the character is called "bedingter Trennstrich").

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf! Sep 27, 2004

Thanks Ralf - that worked perfectly!

All the best

Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I hide "¬" symbols permanently

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »