Global changes
Thread poster: Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
Local time: 16:55
English to Spanish
Sep 27, 2004

I have today for the first time tried to make global changes in a translation memory and the “find and replace” function doesn´t seem to work.

Text which is in the memory does appear when I look for it using the menu “Tools/Concordance...” but not when I look for it using the menu “Maintenance.../Find and Replace...” and I can´t therefore make any global changes.

My Trados-Workbench Version is the 6.5.2.417 (Build 417

VeroniqueBR
VeroniqueBR
Local time: 00:55
English to French
+ ...
Text inbetween stars Sep 27, 2004

Hi, Have you entered a star/asterisk before and after the source/target text? Should work.

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Asterisks don´t work Sep 27, 2004

verbon wrote:

Hi, Have you entered a star/asterisk before and after the source/target text? Should work.

Asteriks used to work in the 5 Version, but not in the 6 one.

Thanks a lot anyway

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Export TM to txt file... Sep 27, 2004

The easiest way to make global changes to a TM is to export the TM to a txt file. Then open the file (e.g. in Word) and make the necessary changes. Finally, re-import the edited txt into a new TM.

Jørgen

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! :) Sep 28, 2004

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

The easiest way to make global changes to a TM is to export the TM to a txt file. Then open the file (e.g. in Word) and make the necessary changes. Finally, re-import the edited txt into a new TM.

Jørgen

Thank you very much. That´s a really good idea. I should have thought about it myself

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Global Changes in TMW via TM-Export and editing in MS Word Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, I'd suggest to export and open the export in Word, too. Nevertheless be careful with "global" changes. The export file also includes the source segments - and you will probably not like to change them too

This is how I do it: Using Word's wildcard search I make a couple of changes:
1. Ctrl-A to mark up the complete story.
2. Ctrl-Space to delete the "plain text" character formatting and format everthi
... See more
Yeah, I'd suggest to export and open the export in Word, too. Nevertheless be careful with "global" changes. The export file also includes the source segments - and you will probably not like to change them too

This is how I do it: Using Word's wildcard search I make a couple of changes:
1. Ctrl-A to mark up the complete story.
2. Ctrl-Space to delete the "plain text" character formatting and format everthing as "Default Paragraph Font" and Pgf Stlye "Normal".
3. Search and replace with tw4winExternal formatting: E.g. for Source = DE-DE, Target = EN-UK search with wildcards for
\*\
and replace it with tw4winExternal
and search for

replace it with tw4winExternal.

Now you can restrict your changes to the target segments by setting "Default Paragrah Font" for the "Find" text field.

Also I suggest for tagged TUs to search and replace for several tags a mark them up as tw4winInternal (e.g. {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } for FrameMakers Hard Space). This should be done before marking up the fields and source segments as tw4winExternal.

Once you've tried it you'll love it. It's really simple and makes global changes it much more secure and faster. Make sure to save as plain text in the end.
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Sorry... Oct 16, 2004

... the forum engine ate my sample. It should have read:

3. Search and replace with tw4winExternal formatting: E.g. for Source = DE-DE, Target = EN-UK search with wildcards for

and replace it with tw4winExternal
and search for

replace it with tw4winExternal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Global changes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »