Thread poster: Sonia Maldonado
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:33
English to German
+ ...
Ok... Sep 29, 2004

You can activate it manually using Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

when I go into the word, templates and add-ins I see the word "normal". Where do I look to add trados task bar"?

There should be an Add button which allows you to add it manually (activate it afterwards). The problem with this approach is that you may need to repeat it manually every time you start MS Word.

Did you restart Word after copying the template into the startup folder?
Did you install Word using the default folders provided by the installation process?

Best, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction: Windows XP and installed MS word 2002 (I wrote 2000 in error) Sep 29, 2004

hedsonia wrote:

yes, you are right, Jerzy asked. I did what he said because his instructions were assuming I had windows XP and that is what I have. Thank you
Sonia

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Sonia,
A few posts earlier, Jerzy asked you which OS (=operating system) you're using...
While we're at it, can you please indicate which Word version you have installed?

The exact location of the startup folder depends on these versions. It is therefore important to answer these questions, as otherwise we're stabbing in the dark.

Thanks, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MS Word version number, please... Sep 29, 2004

Hi again,
What is the exact version number of your MS Word installation (check under ? - About...)?

Can you please answer my previous questions?

Thanks, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did restart the the whole computer after copying the template Sep 29, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You can activate it manually using Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

when I go into the word, templates and add-ins I see the word "normal". Where do I look to add trados task bar"?

There should be an Add button which allows you to add it manually (activate it afterwards). The problem with this approach is that you may need to repeat it manually every time you start MS Word.

Did you restart Word after copying the template into the startup folder?
Did you install Word using the default folders provided by the installation process?

Best, Ralf

and yes, I did use the default folders on MS word 2002. Should I uninstall MSword 2002 and reinstall back?
I also had that problem that FUSION was the one taskbar showing instead of trados. I removed Fusion totally from the computer.
Soia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sorry... Sep 29, 2004

...but we have reached a point where I really cannot help you much further.

I don't think reinstalling MS Word makes any sense; you might want to try reinstalling Trados. (Strictly speaking, this shouldn't be necessary, but TBH you require a certain minimum level of familiarity with MS Word...)

Do you have a possibility to get a PC engineer to check your Word installation, and to locate the startup folder for you?

Best regards,
Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS word 2002 Sep 29, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
What is the exact version number of your MS Word installation (check under ? - About...)?

Thanks, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Usually there should be no need to deinstall anything Sep 29, 2004

Let's assume you have copied the TRADOS6.DOT template to Word start-up folder as described before.
After you start Word, please choose the menu "Format" from the menu bar. If Word shows a double arrow, facing downwards in this menu, please click on it to show the full content of this menu. Otherwise you should immediately see a menu item called "Templates and add ons". Please choose this menu item by clicking once on it.
Then you should see some options: in the upper part the Normal.
... See more
Let's assume you have copied the TRADOS6.DOT template to Word start-up folder as described before.
After you start Word, please choose the menu "Format" from the menu bar. If Word shows a double arrow, facing downwards in this menu, please click on it to show the full content of this menu. Otherwise you should immediately see a menu item called "Templates and add ons". Please choose this menu item by clicking once on it.
Then you should see some options: in the upper part the Normal.dot is listed. This is what does not concern us now. Below you should see "Global templates and add on listed". There should be a line with "Trados6.dot" and a check box on the left side of it. Ensure the check box IS MARKED.
Thereafter the "FLAGMAN"-icon should at least appear on your tool bar. Cklicing on this icon toggles Trados toolbar on and off.

If you see the Trados6.dot template checked, but don't see the Trados tool bar or the Flagman, please open any Word document and press ALT+HOME. In case everything is installed properly you should either get a translation unit open (provided Trados Workbench is running and a translation memory is open) or get an error message, saying "Trados Workbench is not running".

If this dos not happen, then you should follow Ralfs advice and have you PC checked for the location of Word start up folder.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see the following number: 10.2627.2625 Sep 29, 2004

hedsonia wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Guys, for all your help. Sep 29, 2004

hedsonia wrote:

I now have to leave for the gym work out some of the stress. I will continue tonight trying to see if I can install this task bar. I will be talking to you tomorrow. I have learned several things from you both and I really appreciate it. I will install Trados in my laptop which also has windows XP and then will try the MS word there and see if I encounter an easier way to do it. I have printed your advice and I will be sure to let you know tomorrow.
hedsonia wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it safe to uninstalland re-intall trados? Sep 30, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Then you should see some options: in the upper part the Normal.dot is listed. This is what does not concern us now. Below you should see "Global templates and add on listed". There should be a line with "Trados6.dot" and a check box on the left side of it. Ensure the check box IS MARKED.
Thereafter the "FLAGMAN"-icon should at least appear on your tool bar. Cklicing on this icon toggles Trados toolbar on and off.

If you see the Trados6.dot template checked, but don't see the Trados tool bar or the Flagman, please open any Word document and press ALT+HOME. In case everything is installed properly you should either get a translation unit open (provided Trados Workbench is running and a translation memory is open) or get an error message, saying "Trados Workbench is not running".

If this dos not happen, then you should follow Ralfs advice and have you PC checked for the location of Word start up folder.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi jerzy:
Although I find the "Global templates and add on" the field is blank.
This morning I did install Trados on my laptop (to which I prior had added MS word) and when everything was done, VOILA! I had the famous "flagman Icon" for Trados. So what I am thinking here is that maybe I need to unistall trados and re-install it. My question is, are there any license problems or any technicall issues I have to be concerned about if I do this?
Thank you!
Sonia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are no problems with deinstalling and reinstalling Trados Sep 30, 2004

but possibly you even do not need to do this in that way.
Simply try first to install Trados again without deinstalling it.
If you use a dongle, there will be no problem whtsoever - I installed Trados more than once because of upgrading PC and so on and never encountered any problems.
If you use the new softkey licensing, so I would assume, that there should be no problem with it, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
This behaviour is easy to
... See more
If you use a dongle, there will be no problem whtsoever - I installed Trados more than once because of upgrading PC and so on and never encountered any problems.
If you use the new softkey licensing, so I would assume, that there should be no problem with it, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
This behaviour is easy to explain: Trados detected Word on your laptop and placed the necessary template in the right folder, while you cannot find the Word startup folder on your PC.
To find out, where this flder is, open Word. Select Tools from menu bar. Select "Paths for saving" (or similar, I have only german Word). There you will see "File type". One of them is "Auto Start". If you click this enty and select "Change", you will get the full location shown. Then navigate there within Windows Explorer and copy the Trados6.dot template there - this must work...
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jerzy: Sep 30, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

PS
This behaviour is easy to explain: Trados detected Word on your laptop and placed the necessary template in the right folder, while you cannot find the Word startup folder on your PC.
To find out, where this flder is, open Word. Select Tools from menu bar. Select "Paths for saving" (or similar, I have only german Word). There you will see "File type". One of them is "Auto Start". If you click this enty and select "Change", you will get the full location shown. Then navigate there within Windows Explorer and copy the Trados6.dot template there - this must work...

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sucess!!! Trados task bar for Trados installed in my MS word!! Oct 1, 2004

hedsonia wrote:
Hi Jerzy and Ralf:
Thank you guys for all the help you provided to me yesterday. IT was very valuable and I learned a lof of how trados works inside my computer brain.
I tried re-installing trados without unilstalling, but I still could not get the icon at all. I decided to totally unistall and then re-install trados. And it WORKED!!!
I see the icon and all the related arrows, etc. now on my MSWORD program.
Thank you very much Guys!
Sonia

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

PS

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to install trados task bar into MS word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »