Thread poster: Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2004

When I purchased trados I did not have MS word and my word processor was not compatible. Now I have installed MS word this morning. How Do I install the trados task bar in it?
Note: (I had a trial Fusion Translate in my computer and now I am seeing that taks bar in MS word)
Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Follow these easy steps Sep 29, 2004

Shut down Word and Trados.
Open Windows Explorer (or any other file manager).
Locate the installation folder of Trados and navigate t the template folder there (usually it should be c:\\progam files\\TRADOS\\T65_FL\\TT\\Templates)
Copy the TRADOS6.DOT template (to do so click this file once with your left mouse button and press CTRL+C).
Navigate to Word startup folder. This will be (in Windows XP):
C:\\Documents and settings\\Current user\\Aplication data\\Microsoft
... See more
Locate the installation folder of Trados and navigate t the template folder there (usually it should be c:\\progam files\\TRADOS\\T65_FL\\TT\\Templates)
Copy the TRADOS6.DOT template (to do so click this file once with your left mouse button and press CTRL+C).
C:\\Documents and settings\\Current user\\Aplication data\\Microsoft\\Word\\StartUp.
The press CTRL+V to locate this template there.
After you start Word the task bar should be there and the Trados template is active.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am in the templates folder now, I see 4 subfolders Sep 29, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Locate the installation folder of Trados and navigate t the template folder there (usually it should be c:\progam files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Templates)
C:\Documents and settings\Current user\Aplication data\Microsoft\Word\StartUp.
The press CTRL+V to locate this template there.
After you start Word the task bar should be there and the Trados template is active.

Regards
Jerzy

Thank you very much!
now I see 4 subfolders when I click on the folder for templates (they are:trados 6.-winalingn 6 - trados bookmark handler and writter support). Should I just copy paste the main folder or each one of the subfolders? Also, the 4 subfolders seemed to have already been converted to MS word, because they are displaying that symbol. Thank you!
Sonia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Subfolders or templates? Sep 29, 2004

Hi Sonia,
now I see 4 subfolders when I click on the folder for templates (they are:trados 6.-winalingn 6 - trados bookmark handler and writter support).

Are you sure you see subfolders? The four files are templates (.dot) - I would suggest to set your system to display the extension of files.

Should I just copy paste the main folder or each one of the subfolders? Also, the 4 subfolders seemed to have already been converted to MS word, because they are displaying that symbol.

Not converted, but Windows (correctly) associates .dot files with MS Word. Just copy trados6.dot in the way Jerzy described.

Best regards, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fusion Sep 29, 2004

One more thing...
You may need to deactivate the fusion template before being able to use Trados.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is the folder T6.5_FL_EULA the one I need to pick for the fonts? Sep 29, 2004

Thank you!
Sonia

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which fonts do yu mean? Sep 29, 2004

You do not need any fonts...

What you need is the template called TRADOS6.DOT
If your system does not show extensions (.DOT), then it is the file with the Word-symbol (the big letter W) called TRADOS6
Simply click once on that name, press CTRL+C, then navigate to Word startup folder as described above, and when this folder is selected press CTRL+V

That's all

Regards
Jerzy

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word start up folder? Is that in the C Drive? Sep 29, 2004

Sorry for asking so many (seemengly dumb)questions, but I can only locate the C drive and I am not sure if there is where I need to paste the link mentioned.

Sonia

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which OS are you using? Sep 29, 2004

Is this Windows XP, what you use?
If yes, please open Windows Explorer, go to Tools and choose Folder Options.
In Folder Options choose View.
Please make sure, that the option "Don't show extensions on known file type" (or something similar, I have only German XP) is UNCHECKED (there should be no mark in the check box beside this option).
Please UNCHECK the option "Hide protected system files" too.
Then CHECK the option "Show all files and folders".
Please rem
... See more
Is this Windows XP, what you use?
If yes, please open Windows Explorer, go to Tools and choose Folder Options.
In Folder Options choose View.
Please make sure, that the option "Don't show extensions on known file type" (or something similar, I have only German XP) is UNCHECKED (there should be no mark in the check box beside this option).
Please UNCHECK the option "Hide protected system files" too.
Then CHECK the option "Show all files and folders".
Please remember the settings, as you may wish to restore them all afterwards.
Press Apply and OK.
Go to Trados folder, copy the Trados6.dot template by clicking it ONCE and pressing CTRL+C.
Then go the root directory of drive C (C:\\).
Locate the folder called "Documents and settings" and double click on it. Locate the folder with the name you are usuing as user of your system. Open this folder with double-click.
Locate the folder "Aplication data" and open it in the same way.
Look for the folder "Microsoft", open it, look for "Word" and open it too. You will see a folder called "Start up" - simply double click on it and then PRESS CTRL+V. In this way you have copied the template from one folder to the another one.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Look above Sep 29, 2004

Hi Sonia,
Sorry for asking so many (seemengly dumb)questions, but I can only locate the C drive and I am not sure if there is where I need to paste the link mentioned.

Jerzy posted the startup folder in his first response:

C:\Documents and settings\Current user\Aplication data\Microsoft\Word\StartUp

...where 'current user' stands for your username.

Also, you shouldn't paste a link, but the file trados6.dot.

HTH, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about the copied template Sep 29, 2004

Hi guys:
Thank you immensely for your help. I did everything, step by step that Jersy recommended and I copied the template into the folder. ( I did not encounter problems doing this). I still do not see the trados task bar in the MSword, is there anything else I need to do?
Thank you so much!
Sonia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Re-start Word Sep 29, 2004

Hi again,
Templates stored in the startup folder are activated when starting Word.

You can activate it manually using Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

Best, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am in "templates and add-ins" Sep 29, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
Templates stored in the startup folder are activated when starting Word.

You can activate it manually using Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

Best, Ralf

Hi Ralph:
when I go into the word, templates and add-ins I see the word "normal". Where do I look to add trados task bar"?
Thanks
Sonia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can we take one step after the other, please? Sep 29, 2004

Sonia,
A few posts earlier, Jerzy asked you which OS (=operating system) you're using...
While we're at it, can you please indicate which Word version you have installed?

The exact location of the startup folder depends on these versions. It is therefore important to answer these questions, as otherwise we're stabbing in the dark.

Thanks, Ralf

Sonia Maldonado
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have window XP and just installed MS word 2000 Sep 29, 2004

yes, you are right, Jerzy asked. I did what he said because his instructions were assuming I had windows XP and that is what I have. Thank you
Sonia

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Sonia,
A few posts earlier, Jerzy asked you which OS (=operating system) you're using...
While we're at it, can you please indicate which Word version you have installed?

The exact location of the startup folder depends on these versions. It is therefore important to answer these questions, as otherwise we're stabbing in the dark.

Thanks, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to install trados task bar into MS word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »