Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:34
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2004

I cleaned up different documents (xls, doc) and there are some segments that do not get cleaned (i think that all of them have references, as in: {REF Title \* MERGEFORMAT}), and they are followed by >>> marks coloured green.

do you know why is this?

tx =)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:34
English to German
+ ...
Which Trados version? Oct 7, 2004

Hi Natalia,
You referred to Trados 6 in an earlier thread - nevertheless, can you please provide the full version number of the Trados version you're using (including the build number, please - go to Help - About... to check).

I cleaned up different documents (xls, doc) and there are some segments that do not get cleaned (i think that all of them have references, as in: {REF Title * MERGEFORMAT}), and they are followed by >>> marks coloured green.

Assuming that you were using T-Window for Excel, no cleanup is required for Excel files, as T-Window writes directly into the target file. (Note that from T6.5, you can use TagEditor for .xls and .ppt.)

Looks like the translation units were damaged as a result of cross references (and resulting hidden bookmarks). This is a known issue related to the way Word handles these bookmarks. Trados has developed a utility called Bookmark Handler that you need to run before translating (turning bookmarks into tags), and after cleanup (restoring the bookmarks).

Having changed to T6.5 long ago, I no longer have the BookmarkHandler macro for T6.0 - if you quote your version, maybe someone else still has the same version running and can send you the template.

HTH, Ralf

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My version of trados is 6.0.0.309 Oct 7, 2004

I didnt make myself clear, since this is the first post i make and im a newbie with trados.

this happens with doc files only, i thought it was something with the bookmarks, but i didnt know there was an utility for that. how can i get it? its within trados freelance? or you have to but it apart?

=)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact Trados Support Oct 7, 2004

Hi Natalia,
I didnt make myself clear, since this is the first post i make and im a newbie with trados.

No problem - there are lots of experienced users who forget to include system info.

this happens with doc files only, i thought it was something with the bookmarks, but i didnt know there was an utility for that. how can i get it? its within trados freelance? or you have to but it apart?

This used to be available for free, but separately. It's included in T6.5, though. You will need to contact Trados support for the version matching your software.

You could try the latest version - theoretically, T6.0 should be able to handle a document tagged with the latest BookmarkHandler, as all the macro does is to replace hidden bookmarks with internal/external tags. Make sure to use this on a copy of your document - do not work on the original.

Contact me through my profile: I will send you instructions on how to download macro & documentation from my web server.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-10-07 19:10]

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Oct 7, 2004

Here in Argentina we would say: Gracias mil!! =)

ill see if i can get this add-on, and we keep in touch if i can't do it =)

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
The procedures I use: Oct 7, 2004

If BookmarkHandler solves the problem, just use it.

if not:

1. Select Tools/Macro and run tw4Clean.Main
2. Select Tools/Options and turn viewing All on a View tab.
(now you should see if Trados left anything)
3. Select Trados/Toggle tag protection and manually delete unneeded fragments
4. 2. Select Tools/Options and turn viewing All off a View tab.
(now you should see a document looking as usual)

As Ralf advices: do it on
... See more
If BookmarkHandler solves the problem, just use it.

if not:

1. Select Tools/Macro and run tw4Clean.Main
2. Select Tools/Options and turn viewing All on a View tab.
(now you should see if Trados left anything)
3. Select Trados/Toggle tag protection and manually delete unneeded fragments
4. 2. Select Tools/Options and turn viewing All off a View tab.
(now you should see a document looking as usual)

As Ralf advices: do it on a copy of your document.

[Edited at 2004-10-07 19:59]

[Edited at 2004-10-07 20:00]
Collapse

Simoontje
Simoontje
English
unclean segments in clean files/green arrows Oct 20, 2004

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

this happens with doc files only, i thought it was something with the bookmarks, but i didnt know there was an utility for that.

=)

This sounds like a tagging error to me. This happens when you accidentally change the tags. In order to fix it, check in the cleaned file with the error where the tags are wrong, go back to the unclean file, turn the tag protection OFF, fix the tag, close the file and clean it again.

You can prevent this by always working with hidden text ON when you are making changes, and by making sure tag protection is ON (in word: Trados | Toggle tag protection; in the lower left hand corner there is a message saying Tag protecion is now ON (of off))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uncleaned segments after "clean-up"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »